Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Caring for the ST, without giving much care

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I have a new blue one.
But unable to give it the care, many are doing here.

Currently, I don't have any plans for paint protection films or ceramic coatings. I am not convinced by the aftermarket products (cost) and I still believe, Ford had done enough with the factory paint to survive whatever a car has to deal with on regular operating conditions.

Having said that, I also have learned my lesson from my last black car, taking it occasionally through automated machine washes. My parking is semi closed/covered in my California town house (open to dust and occasional sprays).

I don't mind my car looking dirty outside, but I keep it spotless and clean on the inside. I can take it to a hand wash once in three months or so. Interior is kept clean by myself.

Anyone else in the same boat as mine?
Any tips before I do something I'll regret on this new car?

PS: I do envy all the shiny and bling cars in the forum, but unable to do any of it in my current circumstances.

IMG_20221231_173408.jpg

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
I think you'll be perfectly fine leaving it as is. Although I always recommend getting a PPF, they are pricy and if you don't mind rock chips scattered on the front end then I'd skip it. I wouldn't take it through automated washes though, it'll definitely make that paint look worse throughout the years. Just get a simple foam gun ($10 on ebay) and a hose and your set! Congrats!

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
I have a new blue one.
But unable to give it the care, many are doing here.

Currently, I don't have any plans for paint protection films or ceramic coatings. I am not convinced by the aftermarket products (cost) and I still believe, Ford had done enough with the factory paint to survive whatever a car has to deal with on regular operating conditions.

Having said that, I also have learned my lesson from my last black car, taking it occasionally through automated machine washes. My parking is semi closed/covered in my California town house (open to dust and occasional sprays).

I don't mind my car looking dirty outside, but I keep it spotless and clean on the inside. I can take it to a hand wash once in three months or so. Interior is kept clean by myself.

Anyone else in the same boat as mine?
Any tips before I do something I'll regret on this new car?

PS: I do envy all the shiny and bling cars in the forum, but unable to do any of it in my current circumstances.

View attachment 15872
Welcome to the forum

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I'm not as obsessive as I use to be, I still try to wash both vehicles each week. Agree with 2020 Ford Raptor on the Auto Car washes. Between the harsh chemicals and brushes, they're tough on the paint.

Reactions
When we lived in Tyson's Corner for a year (the year we bought the 2020 ST), I lived in an apartment building and parked the ST on the 7th floor of the building. It was open sided, therefore would get wind and whatever came with the wind. It was an interior "single" parking spot, so less blown elements would get on it, however it did just fine. I actually didn't worry about it and took it to a hand wash facility every 6 weeks or so.

I am very OCD and detail oriented about my vehicles so this was an exercise in pain for me, however, it was just fine as is. I just had a CarPro spray bottle of (very light) ceramic coating that I used every 3 months or so to keep some sort of protection on the ST.

After we moved out of there down to FL where I returned to normalcy with a garage, the effects of the wash, being exposed to the elements moreso than parking in a garage, and everyday use were not that bad at all. I was pleasantly surprised as the paint correction wasn't terrible when I did it. I also put a full coating of Gtechniq CSL/EXO ceramic coating on it (there's the OCD).

That being said, the worst part of the vehicle, both then and now, is the piano black parts on the doors that scratch if you fart nearby. They are just terrible.

Anyway, the less you touch the paint the less marring, swirls, and micro scratches you'll get on it, for what that is worth. Everyone has their balance point...use the damn thing, enjoy it, and protect the paint as you see fit and are able. (I think PPF is overkill on the ST, however it does protect things.)

OP
R2D2
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #6
First wash and wax, after delivery in Dec 2022.
IMG_20230417_190501.jpg
PS: Ignore the additions/texts in the poster above. Phone made it.

OP
R2D2
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #7
IMG_20230417_145013.jpg

Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
I think the touchless car washes are okay. I used on last week and it came out great. I just dried it with new microfibers and did a spray wax afterward

Cajun Heat

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Looking good.

I guess it doesn't rain much where you are since this is the first wash since December. Here in the Texas Gulf Coast it would have had a 1" layer of gunk on it letting it go that long without a wash..lol