Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Car Wash

Yaz

Reactions
Can I safely take my ST through an automated car wash, you stay in vehicle, or hand wash only?

Reactions
I invested in a ceramic coating. And, where I live we have a few options for touchless washes. These are great then, I dry with a detailing spray.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
touchless car washes for me. then hand wash every 2-3 months

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I take mine through a 'soft brush' (like large felt strips) car wash frequently, still looks brand new.

Reactions
Stay away from the whip and scratch type of carwash they will mess your ST up. Hand wash is best with touchless second.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Friend had her black King Ranch messed up by a “normal” car wash.

Reactions
If I cant wash it myself, I take mine to a touchless auto car wash. Doesn't do a great job at washing but it removes most of the dirt and bird droppings. For $7 quick wash, im not complaining and looks cleaner than it did before.

Reactions
There is a reason all detailing freaks will never use automated washed (touchless or not)

1. Ceramic will scratch the same as paint with prolonged car wash use. Trust me my wife proved that with our coated ST.
2. Touchless, do a crappy jib and use very harsh chemicals, whcihiwill strip any wax or protectants from your vehicle.

To each their own, but that is why I prefer to hand wash. In the winter I will use a self wash, but bring my own wash bucket and supplies.

Reactions
I usually do a monthly or so of "ceramic" touch up with Turtle Wax Hybrid Spray products, so going to those crappy auto washes doesnt bother me. I prefer getting the dirt off and hurting the protectants which can be re-applied than driving a dusty car.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST Star White
I use the local pressure washer with a hand wash mitt, then drive home around the corner to dry with a towel and apply the tutrle wax hybrid cermic, seems to beed good for a month or so before I do it again

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Those of us who live in cold climates do not have the option to always wash by hand.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Mechanical car washes worry me. In prep for a 2,500 mile road trip, I washed, waxed, Invisible Glass'd, Rain-X'd, and Torque detail ceramic-coated mine today.Vacuum and leather treatment tomorrow. Then it sits until Tuesday morning. The Mustang will be my errand-trotter this weekend.

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Those of us who live in cold climates do not have the option to always wash by hand.
I am there with you. Sometimes in the winter the water will freeze on the vehicle before I get a chance to dry it off, but I still hand wash throughout the winter.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I am there with you. Sometimes in the winter the water will freeze on the vehicle before I get a chance to dry it off, but I still hand wash throughout the winter.
I'm 100% touchless car wash in the Winter. I have no other choice ...