Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Car wash/detail tips

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Always have the option of a high quality microfiber and a product like PoorBoys S&W. It takes a wee bit longer than a California Duster but those products provide a barrier/lubricant. Has little more oomph than typical quick detail sprays. I do like California Dusters when used on a dash board.

286CBDA3-A33C-42AE-B1D2-4A825E481543.jpeg

Last edited:

Blackssr

Reactions
I've got the black ST wheels, which look great but I'm struggling to keep the inside walls of the wheel clean. I use a rag and wipe them down after a wash but one rainy day or a dirty road and they're messy again. Two questions:
1)what's the best tool to use to clean these? it's tough on the hands getting in there and around the calipers!
2)is there a coating you can put on that at least helps repel water or dirt?

thanks!

View attachment 4981
Poor boys wheel cleaner is the best in the business.
I've been using it for several years on both my Hellcats. As any car enthusiast knows the Brembos shed a tremendous amount of brake dust just pulling out of the driveway. The back side of the wheels on every vehicle I own looks like the day I purchased them because of Poor boys wheel cleaner. It is the real deal and is not like the garbage sold at Walmart or an automotive store by Maguire's or other weak brands. It is acid based but smells like oranges. Just spray it on a cool wheel, wait two to three minutes and simply hose It off. There is literally no need to use a scrub brush it is that powerful and efficient at cleaning wheels. Even the red calipers on my Hellcats and Ford Explorer ST glisten like they were just taken off the showroom floor.
The only real tip I have for you is you need to rinse the spray bottle sprayer mechanism with soapy water after each use because the cleaner will destroy the mechanism in the spray bottle if left without rinsing.
Give it a try you will be impressed. I buy it by the gallon but I believe they also make a quart size for like 15 or 20 bucks.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0045NZI8W/ref=cm_sw_r_u_apa_glc_fabc_F1JMN2XWA4WSJAREXJZA

Last edited:

Blackssr

Reactions
Always have the option of a high quality microfiber and a product like PoorBoys S&W. It takes a wee bit longer than a California Duster but those products provide a barrier/lubricant. Has little more oomph than typical quick detail sprays. I do like California Dusters when used on a dash board.

View attachment 5121
I use their wheel cleaner and their car soap. They are the real deal and in my neck of the woods in Boca.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0045NZI8W/ref=cm_sw_r_u_apa_glc_fabc_F1JMN2XWA4WSJAREXJZA

Blackssr

Reactions
I would not recommend the California dusters. In the end they are dragging dust across your finish. If you’re really trying to avoid micro-marring I believe this is a sound recommendation. That said if you drive it through a car wash that uses brushes, no big deal.
I agree it just drags the dust along the paint finish. If a car is waxed and detailed weekly then a quick daily 10 -15 minute soapy rinse down, "speedrun" to remove most water and a wipe down will keep her looking spotless and looking showroom.

Last edited: