Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Calling all parents (child seat questions)

Reactions
I'm in the market for an Explorer ST. I currently have 2 young children, we may have more in the future. I'd like to be able to seat my in-laws in the 3rd row occasionally.

Which second row seating did you opt for? Captain chair or bench? Are you satisfied with your choice? Are adults able to get into the 3rd row with car seats installed?

How many car seats can fit in the 3rd row?

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
I have the captains chairs in mine and I am absolutely satisfied. I have had 2 full grown adults back there a few times. It would be terrible for a long trip, but is more than sufficient for around town driving.

I have only ever used boosters in the 3rd row, never full on car seats. I only have 2 kids, they were 2 and 4 when I bought the vehicle, they are 5 and 6 now. The captains chairs actually lean and slide forward, similar to a 2 door car with a back seat.

OP
jwuonog
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
I have the captains chairs in mine and I am absolutely satisfied. I have had 2 full grown adults back there a few times. It would be terrible for a long trip, but is more than sufficient for around town driving.

I have only ever used boosters in the 3rd row, never full on car seats. I only have 2 kids, they were 2 and 4 when I bought the vehicle, they are 5 and 6 now. The captains chairs actually lean and slide forward, similar to a 2 door car with a back seat.
Thanks! Are you saying the captains chairs can slide forward with a car seat installed so an adult could get into the 3rd row?

Reactions
The third row isn't really adult friendly (unless your short), I'd probably put the kiddos back there and let the adults set in the captain seats.

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
I was actually able to test this about a month ago when my brother and his family came in to visit. So with their 9 month in his seat buckled to the captains chair the other were able to get around him pretty easy and get to back row. Now my sister in law and her oldest son aren't tall people lol.

The captains seats can move when the child's seat is in it. The clip/buckle points on the seats are super easy to use. I had never done it before and figured it out right away. My brothers wife drives a Equinox and she enjoyed our setup much more fyi.

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
The third row isn't really adult friendly (unless your short), I'd probably put the kiddos back there and let the adults set in the captain seats.
Are there tie downs for car seats? I haven't looked. and frankly I wasn't going to climb in the back to buckle them in lol. If others want to ride with me to save gas, then they can sit in the very back

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I'm in the market for an Explorer ST. I currently have 2 young children, we may have more in the future. I'd like to be able to seat my in-laws in the 3rd row occasionally.

Which second row seating did you opt for? Captain chair or bench? Are you satisfied with your choice? Are adults able to get into the 3rd row with car seats installed?

We have the Captains chairs in the second row and make it pretty easy for adults to get to the 3rd row with a car seat strapped into the second row. We frequently haul around our grandbabies when our kids are visiting.

Reactions
Are there tie downs for car seats? I haven't looked. and frankly I wasn't going to climb in the back to buckle them in lol. If others want to ride with me to save gas, then they can sit in the very back
ya know honestly im not too sure now that you say that, I've never really looked back there myself lol, No kids here and typically my third row is down to store camera equiptement. I would assume there would be but I could be wrong.

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
ya know honestly im not too sure now that you say that, I've never really looked back there myself lol, No kids here and typically my third row is down to store camera equiptement. I would assume there would be but I could be wrong.
Just envision having to climb in the back to buckle a child into a 5 point harness every time you wanted to go somewhere... no thanks

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I second this. Third row okay for older kids/younger teenagers. You may want to consider the Expedition if looking to stay with Ford.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor

I don't know about the 2nd row, but the 3rd row was perfectly fine for our family members, could use some more padding on the 3rd row but otherwise than that.

OP
jwuonog
Reactions
Thread Starter #13
Thanks for all the input!

One other question...

What kind of strollers have you been able to fit in the trunk with the 3rd row seats enabled? I have a Joovy Qool and Contours double stroller that are a bit cumbersome. I'm not sure if they'd fit.

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Thanks for all the input!

One other question...

What kind of strollers have you been able to fit in the trunk with the 3rd row seats enabled? I have a Joovy Qool and Contours double stroller that are a bit cumbersome. I'm not sure if they'd fit.
Luckily we always have the seats down unless we need the extra seating, which is quite infrequent, so I cannot really answer that

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I think if you will be using the 3rd row on occasion and need 3 child seats at some point, the Explorer is not for you. It is great for 2 kids with 3rd row access (captain's chairs). Once you add that 3rd child (pretty much forced to choose the bench), then access to the 3rd row becomes a pain in the butt.

OP
jwuonog
Reactions
Thread Starter #16
Just to give an update, I pulled the trigger on an Explorer this weekend.

1676871446845.png

For now, we have the Graco True3Fit LX on one side, and Chicco KeyFit30 on the other. The seat with the Chicco base is able to slide back just fine for an adult to get to the 3rd row.

The Chicco will eventually have to be replaced with a seat similar to the Graco...

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Just to give an update, I pulled the trigger on an Explorer this weekend.

View attachment 16564

For now, we have the Graco True3Fit LX on one side, and Chicco KeyFit30 on the other. The seat with the Chicco base is able to slide back just fine for an adult to get to the 3rd row.

The Chicco will eventually have to be replaced with a seat similar to the Graco...
Your kid is adorable.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
OP
jwuonog
Reactions
Thread Starter #20
Update: I found out that if I remove the cupholders on the Graco seat, the 2nd row seat can fold down quite a bit (perhaps as much as without a seat installed at all).

It gives enough room to access the 3rd row.

The issue will be when both kids are front facing. I may have to move one to the middle.

Explorer ST Posts