Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Caliper Paint

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST, Silver Spruce Metalic
I'm looking to paint my calipers and I'm wondering what paint most people use. I've used POR15 for rust sealing but never for painting. I know they make a good product but is there something better?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
G2 caliper paint

OP
BrooseDaMoose
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #3
WOW! You have answered almost every one of my posts! :LOL:

Now for my next question, looking for opinions: What color should I go with where my ST is silver spruce metalic and the rims will be black? I liked the red I saw on the Street Pack but I'm wondering how yellow or gold would look.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I've tried several different brands over the years, and I've seen little difference if any when comes to durability for dedicated caliper paints. I live in a climate that has temperature swings of well over 100 degrees from winter through summer. We get cold snowy winters with lots of road salts.

Each of the paints I've used whether they were brush-on or spray-on seem to stack up pretty well. This assumes the caliper has been properly prepped. Neither will work well if the caliper isn't really clean. I've come to find that I prefer the spray paints over the brush-on types. Duplicolor and Rustoleum both make paints they market as Caliper Paint and each has worked well for me. I went out and looked in my cabinet to see which I had used most recently and I found a can of each brand. If push comes to shove I'd say Duplicolor.

Color choice is a personal thing. Depending on the vehicle and wheels I've used both red and black. Black is sedated and when clean look classy. This means the barrels of the wheels need to be clean. If you want something that jumps out at you red is tough to beat though I can certainly see blue paint being nice on a blue car or on a silver car for that matter.

OP
BrooseDaMoose
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #5
Yeah, my ST is a silvery green. It's called Silver Spruce Metalic. I thought maybe the gold would go good with that color. I'm not sure red would go with it. I know it's a personal thing but was just wondering what others thought. I wish I could try it and then change it if it didn't look good. I mean, I could try it and then repaint them but it's a PITA to take them off again just to repaint them. I wish I was good with Photoshop so I could just take a picture of it and then put in the color.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Since you're asking, I think silver would be a good match for that color.