Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

C Pillar Trim Panel Peeling Off

Skeek

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Hi guys,

I'm curious if anyone has encountered this issue. While travelling under highway speeds, I looked at my passenger side mirror and noticed a trim piece (circled in blue) baffling around in the wind. It looks like Ford attached this with a double-sided tape that must have dried out somehow. I'm thinking it may have been loose and the overzealous air-dryers at the local car wash did it in (hand washing from now on).

After taking a closer look I noticed that the bottom rubber trim is also slightly loose at the corner (circled in yellow), but doesn't appear to be peeling off. This is the case on both sides.

A couple of questions for you guys.

1. Has anyone re-attached these trim panels before? Is there any adhesive or process that you would recommend using? Bumper-to-bumper is expired so hoping I can fix this issue myself.

2. Is your bottom trim (yellow) fixed tightly against the window, or slightly loose towards the back like seen in the image?

Appreciate any advice.

Explorer.jpg

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Hi guys,

I'm curious if anyone has encountered this issue. While travelling under highway speeds, I looked at my passenger side mirror and noticed a trim piece (circled in blue) baffling around in the wind. It looks like Ford attached this with a double-sided tape that must have dried out somehow. I'm thinking it may have been loose and the overzealous air-dryers at the local car wash did it in (hand washing from now on).

After taking a closer look I noticed that the bottom rubber trim is also slightly loose at the corner (circled in yellow), but doesn't appear to be peeling off. This is the case on both sides.

A couple of questions for you guys.

1. Has anyone re-attached these trim panels before? Is there any adhesive or process that you would recommend using? Bumper-to-bumper is expired so hoping I can fix this issue myself.

2. Is your bottom trim (yellow) fixed tightly against the window, or slightly loose towards the back like seen in the image?

Appreciate any advice.

View attachment 17062
What year is your st?

79GearHd

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I had that same piece come off of mine. I just removed the remaing tape Ford used from both the trim piece and on the vehicle, then cleaned it up with some alcohol and reattached with 3M Double-sided Automotive Tape from local parts store = still holding strong.

OP
Skeek

Skeek

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #4
What year is your st?
It's a 2020 ST with only about 34k miles on it. 2nd owner but the first seemed to take decent care of it.

OP
Skeek

Skeek

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
I had that same piece come off of mine. I just removed the remaing tape Ford used from both the trim piece and on the vehicle, then cleaned it up with some alcohol and reattached with 3M Double-sided Automotive Tape from local parts store = still holding strong.
Good to know. I was thinking about doing the same thing but started overthinking which tape to use :LOL:

Is this the one you went with? Might seem like a silly question but I'm concerned with how flush it will fit given that the tape from Ford seemed a little on the thicker side.
https://www.amazon.com/3M-38582-Exterior-Attachment-Tape/dp/B00JR4D70K/

I appreciate the tips man.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
OP
Skeek

Skeek

Reactions
Vehicle