Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

WTB Buyers BEWARE

T-bone

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
So I posted a request for a set of ST wheels/tires a few weeks back on here.

Out of the blue, I get an email referring me to a person (Jacob Tavarrous) that has a nice set for sale. Contact him via text at ‭+1 985-241-0277‬ and he confirms the report and sends requested pics using this email addy: tavarrousjacob@gmail.com

He provides an address of 6319 Wales street new Orleans Louisiana 70126.

He suggested I send 1/2 of $1500 to hold them due to extreme interest via cashapp only. When I checked into cashapp, once funds are sent, they cannot be retrieved or guaranteed. I suggested PayPal but he refused.

I then located a shipper to pick them up at 0900 tomorrow and he contacted me saying he needed some good faith money tonight because of some urgent financial needs or he would take one of the wheels to the junkyard to get some money. I told him he would be given the cash for the wheels in the morning.

After a lengthy silence and me suggesting he was a scammer in training, he sends a shutterstock.com pic 127333043 of an old lady in a hospital bed claiming it was his mom and that he’s been by her side so he was unavailable and shame on me for jumping to conclusions.

After a little internet sleuthing, that same 80 y.o. woman is now well.

I hope this saves other potential buyers on here from potentially getting scammed

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
If you Google that phone number, you’ll find at least one other scam he tried to pull.

Manley00

Reactions
Should probably find a way to shitcan this guy too- especially if it’s the same one that messages you. Literally exactly same story as yours. 2FD5629C-0A62-4DF1-9A0C-91C4424CA656.jpeg

STFan

Administrator
Reactions
@T-bone what's this user's username so that I can remove the account?

OP
T

T-bone

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
@T-bone what's this user's username so that I can remove the account?
I have no idea. Someone saw my WTB ad on here and then contacted me privately about contacting their friend, Tavarrous (I have not requested ST wheels anywhere else).

Thus the reason I posted my warning on here for other members sake. Together, we can defeat these frauds.

STFan

Administrator
Reactions
I have no idea. Someone saw my WTB ad on here and then contacted me privately about contacting their friend, Tavarrous (I have not requested ST wheels anywhere else).

Thus the reason I posted my warning on here for other members sake. Together, we can defeat these frauds.
Sorry I meant who was the member that sent you the private message? This person is definitely a scammer.

OP
T

T-bone

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #8
Sorry I meant who was the member that sent you the private message? This person is definitely a scammer.
Unknown....they sent me a email; not a message through this forum (that was the first feather in my warning cap).

Interestingly, it was eerily similar to the post by Judelynn above who you wisely whacked. If memory serves me right, it was exactly the same so quite likely the same idiot.

Thanks for getting involved (as I detest liars and cheats).

Reactions
Just reviving an old thread.. pretty sure member "Tag617" tried snagging some cash from me for what seems to be a fake post BOV. Just bringing it to admins attention.

STFan

Administrator
Reactions
Just reviving an old thread.. pretty sure member "Tag617" tried snagging some cash from me for what seems to be a fake post BOV. Just bringing it to admins attention.
Thanks for that. Will look into @Tag617 account.

STFan

Administrator
Reactions
Asked me to venmo.. i said i preferred paypal and i asked for pics of product with date and time.. been ghosted since lol
Great thinking on your part. I think we're going to start enforcing a rule on the Classified section to require images and member's to write their username next to the item they're selling.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Good idea. The scammers are persistent.

Oh and appreciate your efforts on moderating!