Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Burning Oil Smell, Dealer Says ___!

SVT3571

Reactions
Vehicle
03 TT Cobra || 21 ST
So mere weeks after getting my 21 ST back from the dealer from the tapping noise deemed normal operational noise (https://www.explorerst.org/threads/noise-at-idle.6612/) it was time to go back but for a new issue. I found that on a couple recent super cold AM start ups, getting inside the cabin I was hit with the strongest burning / exhaust smell that I had to leave the door open and open all the windows to vent it out before driving. Dealer inspected and said cats look fine but they noticed oil leaking from the valve cover straight down onto the exhaust, and recommended changing the valve cover gasket. Parts arrived, gaskets changed.. but the mechanic took it for a drive after and said he was “unhappy” and recommends a full valve cover change now which parts are 2 weeks out.

Dealer is saying Ford has actually updated the valve covers and this will solve the issue..I did ask what was physically wrong with my current covers to require replacement vs the original gaskets just needing to be changed and they didn’t have an answer besides “they are totally new, different part numbers and all”

Anyone else have this issue? Or hear about these “new” covers? Car has 31,000kms / 19,000 miles! Pretty disappointing !