Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Bug Guard

Marc

Reactions
l always install bug guards on my vehicles because I can't stand getting the front of my hood chipped or dented. But with the ST, I love the look of the Exploerer raised lettering. So what did I do? I installed "Explorer" on the bug guard. I love the look, but I'm not a fan of the OEM guard because of the stupid clips they use.

Attachments

STFan

Administrator
Reactions
Great idea adding the letters, I think it looks fantastic

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
Remove the letters ..... Clear bra the hood .... put new letters over the clear bra... done.

2020 Explorer ST - Storm Trooper Build

Borla S-Type Exhaust | SPD Downpipes | Vossen HF-5 | Michelin PSS Tires | Speeda Rear Sway | Turbosmart BOV | Rear Wiper Delete | Clear Bra | Tinted Headlights | H&R Springs | Custom Carbon Fiber Steering Wheel | Custom Front and Rear Emblems | UPR Catch Can | SPD T-Stat

Reactions
l always install bug guards on my vehicles because I can't stand getting the front of my hood chipped or dented. But with the ST, I love the look of the Exploerer raised lettering. So what did I do? I installed "Explorer" on the bug guard. I love the look, but I'm not a fan of the OEM guard because of the stupid clips they use.
What deflector did you order? I like the low profile and actually think the EXPLORER logo makes it unique from others. Nice creativity.

OP
M

Marc

Reactions
Thread Starter #5
What deflector did you order? I like the low profile and actually think the EXPLORER logo makes it unique from others. Nice creativity.
I ordered the Ford OEM, its not actually low profile, but I do love the the uniqueness of the lettering!

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Can you install the bug guard but leave the lettering on the hood? What are the downfalls to doing it this way? Clear so you can see them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M

Marc

Reactions
Thread Starter #7
Can you install the bug guard but leave the lettering on the hood? What are the downfalls to doing it this way? Clear so you can see them?

Yes you can put it over the lettering. I got a dark smoke color to go with my black car so i added letters onto the bug guard.

Reactions
I ordered the Ford OEM, its not actually low profile, but I do love the the uniqueness of the lettering!
Did you heat gun the original letters and re-apply, or order a new set for the guard? Not sure if they can be re-applied.

Reactions
Remove the letters ..... Clear bra the hood .... put new letters over the clear bra... done.

2020 Explorer ST - Storm Trooper Build

Borla S-Type Exhaust | SPD Downpipes | Vossen HF-5 | Michelin PSS Tires | Speeda Rear Sway | Turbosmart BOV | Rear Wiper Delete | Clear Bra | Tinted Headlights | H&R Springs | Custom Carbon Fiber Steering Wheel | Custom Front and Rear Emblems | UPR Catch Can | SPD T-Stat
Curious - why did you remove your rear wiper? Just cosmetics?

OP
M

Marc

Reactions
Thread Starter #10
Did you heat gun the original letters and re-apply, or order a new set for the guard? Not sure if they can be re-applied.
No, I left them on. I purchased new lettering on ebay
"2011 212 2013 2014 -2018 Explorer hood emblem sport pkg./ TUXEDO BLACK"

Attachments

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Yes you can put it over the lettering. I got a dark smoke color to go with my black car so i added letters onto the bug guard.
Looks nice, thanks. I have black too and may do the same thing. Did you consider going with a clear one so you can see the lettering behind it?

OP
M

Marc

Reactions
Thread Starter #13
Looks nice, thanks. I have black too and may do the same thing. Did you consider going with a clear one so you can see the lettering behind it?

Never considered clear. I like the black!

OP
M

Marc

Reactions
Thread Starter #14

skibo1961

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
that is cool, what brand of bug guard did you go with? could I leave the letters on and possibly put a new set on the bug guard?

Explorer ST Posts