Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Bringing the Heat

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Going to post all things done to our ST. My wife still drives it but I'm pretty sure she will be driving something else in a year and I will inherit the ST for more modifications.

Shawn Thibodeaux

OP
Cajun Heat

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #2
Went in for a tire rotation today and the Pilot SS tires are done. One year and 15k miles, yikes. Going to upsize to 305/40/22. Will report back on any rubbing issues. This gives me the opportunity to swap out that curbed rim at the same time.

Attachments

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST Carbonized Gray
Went in for a tire rotation today and the Pilot SS tires are done. One year and 15k miles, yikes. Going to upsize to 305/40/22. Will report back on any rubbing issues. This gives me the opportunity to swap out that curbed rim at the same time.
Please share your thoughts on the Yokohama tires, I've had good luck with them in the past but couldn't find that size when I purchased mine. Maybe next time!

OP
Cajun Heat

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #4
Please share your thoughts on the Yokohama tires, I've had good luck with them in the past but couldn't find that size when I purchased mine. Maybe next time!
First impressions are fantastic! The ride is way smoother than the Pilot SS tires an NO MORE TRAMLINING! Holy shit, this is so much better at less than half the price. No rubbing on anything. Will report back on these after I put some real miles on them

Attachments

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
First impressions are fantastic! The ride is way smoother than the Pilot SS tires an NO MORE TRAMLINING! Holy shit, this is so much better at less than half the price. No rubbing on anything. Will report back on these after I put some real miles on them
They may ride a little better but performance wise you took off the single best ultra high performance tire on the market. That Parada is nowhere near the same level of raw performance.

OP
Cajun Heat

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #6
They may ride a little better but performance wise you took off the single best ultra high performance tire on the market. That Parada is nowhere near the same level of raw performance.
That is something I knew going into this. I bought the Pilots thinking that I would be thrashing them in the corners and banging off the line.The truth is that it was all regular miles. As long as my wife is the main driver, these tires will do the job just fine. Plus the Pilots were really shitty in the rain and always felt on the edge of hydroplaning on these wonderful Houston freeways.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ford explorer st
Hey Cajun heat, so you don't have any rubbing at all with the 305/40/22? Do you have a stock suspension or have you lowered it at all? I was looking between the pilot super sports as well, but I'm getting my rims ordered and was recommend a 305/40/22. I know a lot of people run the 305/35/22.

OP
Cajun Heat

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #8
Hey Cajun heat, so you don't have any rubbing at all with the 305/40/22? Do you have a stock suspension or have you lowered it at all? I was looking between the pilot super sports as well, but I'm getting my rims ordered and was recommend a 305/40/22. I know a lot of people run the 305/35/22.
I am lowered on Lethal springs.

I ran the Pilot's until they wore down and have to say that they are not for a daily driver. At over $2k a set and only lasting 15k miles, it is not worth the money. The Yokohamas that are on the ST are leaps and bounds a better ride and absolutely no tramlining. No rubbing at all so far. I'll report back on how the Parada's handle and hold up after putting some miles on them.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ford explorer st
I am lowered on Lethal springs.

I ran the Pilot's until they wore down and have to say that they are not for a daily driver. At over $2k a set and only lasting 15k miles, it is not worth the money. The Yokohamas that are on the ST are leaps and bounds a better ride and absolutely no tramlining. No rubbing at all so far. I'll report back on how the Parada's handle and hold up after putting some miles on them.
Well that's good to know. I don't have lowering springs right now. I will put them on eventually. But I can't see them rubbing then with the original cars setup. Thanks for you help. Look forward to reading about your follow up! Those pilots are very expensive, I agree.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Well that's good to know. I don't have lowering springs right now. I will put them on eventually. But I can't see them rubbing then with the original cars setup. Thanks for you help. Look forward to reading about your follow up! Those pilots are very expensive, I agree.
Lowering springs don’t effect if a tire rubs or not. It just lowers the suspension the same way hitting a bump in the road compresses the suspension. It is rim and tire specifications that effect rubbing.

OP
Cajun Heat

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #11
Installed FenFab rear toe links today. Not all that difficult but make sure you have at least an 18" racket or breaker bar to remove the inside bolts. Mark the alignment tabs so you know where to tighten down once they are installed. Already have an alignment appointment tomorrow to make sure everything is just right.

Did not totally eliminate wheel hop on a hard launch, but reduced it drastically. Almost gone.

Attachments

Last edited:

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Sweet garage setup you got there!

OP
Cajun Heat

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #13
Sweet garage setup you got there!
Thank you. My wife is very understanding of my car addiction...lol

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
In case anyone wonders for their own install…you don’t need the wheels off the ground to install these. Ramps help for a little more room to move around but the weight can be on the ground.

OP
Cajun Heat

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #15
Was able to get the alignment dialed in today. Did a couple hard launches today and that ZFG tune puts a smile on face every time. Feels great.

OP
Cajun Heat

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #16
I have about 1,300 miles on these tires now. Have to say that so far I'm completely satisfied. Waiting for some rain to come through this week so that I can se how well they do in the wet.