Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Brakes squeaking

Reactions
Only have 1000 miles on our new ‘21 ST (with street pack) and the brakes have been squeaking quite loud right as the car is about to come to a stop for the last several hundred miles. Anyone else have this? Kinda embarrassing to have a $60k car squeaking. It’s on my list for the dealer…

I tried doing a couple panic stops to see if that might help, no change. I will say the brakes sure do stop this car quick though!

Last edited:
Reactions
Squealing right at the stop is a lot of time just pad vibration/harmonics. The anti-squeal lube stuff usually just try's to dampen that. Not that you should have to pull stuff apart, but its an easy thing to try and likely what your dealer will do... Smear some goop on the back of the pads and slap em back on.

My old mans C6 grand sport corvette has bad squeal at very light pedal applications...due to harmonics. Stand on the brakes and they are quiet as a church mouse. The anti-squeal goo didnt do anything...

Reactions
I actually have the same thing under regular to light braking at just under 2k miles. To be honest, it's starting to drive me nuts. I'll see what it's like under heavier braking today.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
The noise issue is caused by the pad materials. In high performance brakes, the pads are quite hard to provide the high friction and heat required. Almost all vehicles produce some noise, especially near the full stop phase. You may can help it for a short time by spraying high pressure water to clean the calipers/rotors from dust, but it won't last long.

My ExpST do it, my FoRS does it. My FiST did it too. The price of the vehicle has nothing to do with it.

My 2018 Raptor has "silent" OEM brakes, but it doesn't brake 1/2 as hard as the ExpST. In the area of brakes, there is a compromise to be made with high performance...

If you want a silent vehicle, don't buy anything with the "good" brakes. You can also replace your current pads with a softer compound (less ultimate braking force) and stop the noise.

OP
ScottZL1
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
The noise issue is caused by the pad materials. In high performance brakes, the pads are quite hard to provide the high friction and heat required. Almost all vehicles produce some noise, especially near the full stop phase. You may can help it for a short time by spraying high pressure water to clean the calipers/rotors from dust, but it won't last long.

My ExpST do it, my FoRS does it. My FiST did it too. The price of the vehicle has nothing to do with it.

My 2018 Raptor has "silent" OEM brakes, but it doesn't brake 1/2 as hard as the ExpST. In the area of brakes, there is a compromise to be made with high performance...

If you want a silent vehicle, don't buy anything with the "good" brakes. You can also replace your current pads with a softer compound (less ultimate braking force) and stop the noise.
I'm concerned that is what the dealer is going to come back with. "You got the Street Pack, sorry its normal." But this is loud squeaking...with the windows down it is really bad and people turn to look at what is making the sound as I come to a stop. Not good.

However, I just don't buy it. I also have a 650HP ZL1 with factory brakes/pads...6 piston Brembo calipers that are as silent as can be. I've owned multiple BWM M cars with zero brake squeal, my brother has multiple Porsche's...with zero brake squeal. I have friends with Ferrari's, McLaren's, etc, zero brake squeal. So if they can all be silent with far higher performance brake systems than the ST, there is zero reason the ST can't be silent.

I've got an appointment next week to take the ST in.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Ok, good luck... You may get new brake pads for your effort anyway.

Reactions
Has anyone seen a groove in one of their rotors? We took a 300 mile trip and back, I noticed it when I got back. It's deep enough to feel with my fingernail.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

OP
ScottZL1
Reactions
Thread Starter #8
Has anyone seen a groove in one of their rotors? We took a 300 mile trip and back, I noticed it when I got back. It's deep enough to feel with my fingernail.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
Most likely a small bit of debris/rock/sand got wedged between pad and rotor somewhere along your journey.