Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Brake Upgrade

Reactions
I did a search and not much popped up about a full brake upgrade. Rotors, calipers, and pads. I have the Street pack and I pushed the ST on the Tail of the Dragon this past weekend and noticed some brake fade. I’ve never had a car I could push that hard before so maybe it’s normal. I had so much fun but slowed it down after I noticed the brakes fading a little. I don’t think just upgrading to the Track Pack brakes is enough. By the way, the ST is amazing in the corners and I’m impressed with the Pirelli Scorpions! Lots of grip and only squealed if I hit the lines while the cars behind me were squealing like crazy.

Reactions
Brake fade is usually caused by the stock rubber lines, so maybe all you need is a set of braided brake lines and new fluid/bleed job.

Unsure if anyone makes braided lines yet for this vehicle.

UNBROKEN

Reactions
Rotora is working on a BBK and Centric/StopTech is working on some rotor and pad upgrades but nothing it out yet. Braided stainless hoses will improve pedal feel but won’t stop fade.

Reactions
Rotora is working on a BBK and Centric/StopTech is working on some rotor and pad upgrades but nothing it out yet. Braided stainless hoses will improve pedal feel but won’t stop fade.
The stock rubber lines will expand over repeated hard braking, which is one of the main causes of brake fade. Braided SS lines won't let that happen. Of course there is fluid fade as well, which is why I also recommended changing fluid and bleeding the brakes.

When I used to race cars/bikes, I ran stock rotors and calipers, but always changed to SS lines and better fluid, and depending on what class I was racing in, I might change pads, but not always.

DoingOK

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Your biggest culprit was most likely the brake pads overheating and not allowing the heat to dissipate with this 4700+ lb vehicle. Boiling of the brake fluid could also be a factor depending on how much heat was generated.

Reactions
Your biggest culprit was most likely the brake pads overheating and not allowing the heat to dissipate with this 4700+ lb vehicle. Boiling of the brake fluid could also be a factor depending on how much heat was generated.
She is a thicc lady lol! I thought that’s probably what it is bc a big girl probably shouldn’t be driven like that but it was so fun. Now my left front brake is grabbing and pulling to the left. I’ll get those pads changed ASAP and have the rotors looked at. My husband and son can work on the brakes. I figured with as hard as we drive them at the ST Experience and with how well she handles that the brakes would be up to par. I have a lot to learn still! I learned I can’t keep up with the Porche and Mustang 5.0 in front of me.