Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Brake Fluid Reservoir - Pedal Feel Changed

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Just got a used 2020 ST and have been doing preventative maintenance on it. Recently, I opened the brake fluid reservoir to check the color of the fluid and the levels. Color was fine, but the level was right at the min amount, so I closed it back up until I bought some fluid to top it off.

After I did this, I noticed the feel in my brakes changed quite a bit. Right when I bought the car, the dealer said they installed new brakes and the pedal felt firm and with little feedback after releasing it. Now, the pedal is "mushy" if you will, and springs backward after taking my foot off.

Wondering if the two go together and the potential fix.

Thanks guys.
-Chris

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST Carbonized Gray
That would have zero effect on the pedal feel unless the wrong brake fluid was used, if the dealer said they installed the brakes I would have them look at it. Even if they say nothing is wrong it will be on record if something does fail or you have any future issues.

Reactions
The fact that the fluid was low with recent new brakes leaves me suspecting a leak.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Just got a used 2020 ST and have been doing preventative maintenance on it. Recently, I opened the brake fluid reservoir to check the color of the fluid and the levels. Color was fine, but the level was right at the min amount, so I closed it back up until I bought some fluid to top it off.

After I did this, I noticed the feel in my brakes changed quite a bit. Right when I bought the car, the dealer said they installed new brakes and the pedal felt firm and with little feedback after releasing it. Now, the pedal is "mushy" if you will, and springs backward after taking my foot off.

Wondering if the two go together and the potential fix.

Thanks guys.
-Chris
I would definitely take it back to the dealer to have them do a once over on it. Have the Service Department print you any records they have on your St and take that to the person that told you about the recent brake job.

Reactions
I would definitely take it back to the dealer to have them do a once over on it. Have the Service Department print you any records they have on your St and take that to the person that told you about the recent brake job.
I concur with that sentiment, but I also would like to add it would be wise to have the car towed if the brakes are at all in question.

OP
G
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #6
I will be bringing it back to a dealer to get it looked at. Brakes work fine, car stops great.

It's just after that moment I opened the fluid reservoir, the pedal feel changed. I was thinking the reservoir was pressurized and by opening it, air may have gotten into the lines somehow.

Thank you for the replies.