Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Brake Fault

Kryuenger

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
I just changed the brake fluid and now I’m getting brake fault alert. Any ideas why?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Man you gotta give more info than that. Explain exactly what you did in detail.

OP
Kryuenger

Kryuenger

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
I literally just changed/ flushed with Motul 600 brake fluid. All four corners and that’s it. Standard brake flush sequence - RR, LR, RF, LF. Lowered the truck and parking brake fault, service trac fault, hill assist fault, service brake.

I went back in a reflushed RR and LR. Oddly, RR wouldn’t flush, went to LR which flushed, then back to RR and it flushed. I lowered the truck and parking brake fault. It sounds like either the e-brake isn’t properly disengaging/ engaging.

This is what the fluid looked like. I assume it’s associated with my previous seized caliper issue, which was also RR.

Attachments

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
It’s stuck in brake service mode and it’s gonna take a scan tool to get it out…unless you get lucky and the newest procedure to get it out of service mode works. Are you using the sequence where you push the brake pedal down for 1 second?
If you are and it’s still throwing all the faults…it’s time for an IDS or Snap On scan tool. Forescan wont work on this.
And FYI that Motul fluid won’t do anything on the street plain old Dot 4 won’t do.

OP
Kryuenger

Kryuenger

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
I have a ton of Motul 600 (like 12 bottles). I flush my Tesla’s brakes after each track day.
Yes, to the 1 second hold. I’m taking her in to the stealer tomorrow for all the sync issues. I’m considering starting a buyback. I feel like issues are happening more frequently and happen at the worst time. My wife and kids are supposed to go to Vegas from LA, and I’m a little hesitant to let them take the Explorer.

Attachments

OP
Kryuenger

Kryuenger

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
I don’t I’ve ever lost faith in any of my previous cars/suv/trucks, until this Explorer.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
You just threw the system out of whack…I’m not sure how but I’ve done it twice now myself. Once the codes are cleared with a scan tool it’ll be fine but it’s kinda hard to blame the car for a self induced issue. Both times on mine I had the system open to bleed the brakes.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
OP
Kryuenger

Kryuenger

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #9
You just threw the system out of whack…I’m not sure how but I’ve done it twice now myself. Once the codes are cleared with a scan tool it’ll be fine but it’s kinda hard to blame the car for a self induced issue. Both times on mine I had the system open to bleed the brakes.
Thanks for talking me off the ledge. Is there a way to reset without IDS or Scan Tool? Like pulling the negative?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Thanks for talking me off the ledge. Is there a way to reset without IDS or Scan Tool? Like pulling the negative?
Nope…it’s a really odd “code” that it takes a pretty powerful scan tool to get rid of. I have a buddy with a Snap On I had to call both times.

OP
Kryuenger

Kryuenger

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #11
It seems to have resolved itself

Explorer ST Posts