Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Brake applied power reduced

Cgouveia

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ford explorer st
Hi all

so the wife was driving the ST yesterday and today and it received a message saying brake applied power reduced.. I know she did not have the parking brake on at all during this and we are baffled on what could be causing this to happen. She says that when this message appears on the screen the ST automatically
brakes and has no acceleration unless she hits the brake and then the message disappears and it drives fine. Any input would be greatly appreciated since this would be an issue with normal driving and merging onto our major highways here.

C15F1EE1-988D-44A8-A05B-01D64D7552E4.jpeg

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
That message shows up if you use the brake while still engaging the accelerator. It could be an anomaly, but you can look this up on the internet in various Ford forums and view the reason. Does your wife use her left foot to brake? Does she have abnormally sized feet? If not, it could also be the collision avoidance system. ;)

OP
Cgouveia

Cgouveia

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ford explorer st
Thread Starter #3
Thanks for the info gents but no it was not her abnormally large feet lmao. I actually went for a rip in the ST this evening and I noticed the brake pedal being sticky. At one point I physically had to tap it back up with my foot to release. Therefore when the wife drove she did not feel the brake pedal sticking like I did so when she hit the gas that message would pop up and freak her out. Going to call the dealership tomorrow and see if they can get me in, hopefully nothing major.

OP
Cgouveia

Cgouveia

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ford explorer st
Thread Starter #4
Hey all so update on the issue. Took it into the dealer and the brake booster ended up crapping out. I asked the technician why it ended up going bad and he actually said that the newer Lincoln nautilus has a recall on brake boosters and our explorers have the same one but we have no recall on file. Long story short it’s covered under warranty and we are getting the ST back tomorrow phew. Just a heads up if any of you notice your brake pedal sticking or feeling really stiff take it in becasue your brake booster is possibly faulty as ours was.

Zim

Reactions
Just out of curiosity. I haven’t tried this much but has anyone gotten this message brake boosting from a roll?

Reactions
I just starting having this same alert. Trying to get through to dealer as they ahve to do initial assessment due to no recall notice. Unfortunately, I still need to use the ST until they can take it in in a week. Hope it is not a safety issue. Dealer has no laoner vehicles. I have regualr and extended Ford warranty. I am sure I will have to wait for weeks for proper replacement parts if needed. Getting tired of Ford lack of quality control.