Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Borla S Type vs MBRP Armor Pro

Reactions
Debating on whether I install Borla vs MBRP. Looking for a low growl tone, no drone and family friendly when hauling the wife and kids around. Any suggestions?

OP
mcfarlrm
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
I love my MBRP setup.
Ford is in the process of replacing my flex pipes and they are currently on back order. Wondering if I should wait for those to be replaced before I have the exhaust installed. Would hate to take it in after I install and then Ford say they will not honor the warranty for the flex pipes.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I am happy with my S-Type.

Reactions
Borla or Thermal are the only options.

Stinger

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
Debating on whether I install Borla vs MBRP. Looking for a low growl tone, no drone and family friendly when hauling the wife and kids around. Any suggestions?
The MBRP has drone but gets better with use. Borla is 2.25. I’d go Thermal or custom 3” like Unbroken and others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swkim722

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
3" Thermal will be available in a few months. I would wait for it.

OP
mcfarlrm
Reactions
Thread Starter #8
I have been looking at Thermal R&D as well since it includes their own mesh flex pipes. The factory ones have a noticeable rattle that Ford is replacing once off back order but I highly doubt it will resolve the issue.

Reactions
I wouldn't go with any "cat-back" unless it was a true cat-back and replaced the OEM flex sections. AFAIK Thermal and AFE are the only ones that make a true cat-back system. Lethal makes the midpipes as well. I have been running Thermal with FenFab catted DPs since Oct21 and absolutely love it. Mellow at crusing speeds and screams at WOT. My wife didn't even notice a difference because it sounds almost the same as FENG (disabled now). Biggest bonus was no more shitty sounding flex pipe rattling.

OP
mcfarlrm
Reactions
Thread Starter #10
Any drone at any speeds with the Thermal?

DarthRed

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST, Rapid Red
I love my MBRP setup.
YES, Borla "S" Type gives the best of both worlds. Tuned Growl, and in 10 gear @ 2K RPM, drone is non existent.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I have the Thermal DPs and the MBRP but I dunno if it’s the combo or what but the drone at around 2k-2.5k was unbearable (probably cuz I’m getting old) so I had an exhaust shop replace the X pipe with a muffler. Now it’s SO much better. I’d say save yourself a headache and go with the AFE or the full thermal set up. They have 2 options with or without the DPs. or go to an exhaust shop.

Stinger

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
Ford is in the process of replacing my flex pipes and they are currently on back order. Wondering if I should wait for those to be replaced before I have the exhaust installed. Would hate to take it in after I install and then Ford say they will not honor the warranty for the flex pipes.
I ditched the stock Ford flex pipes completely and had stainless braided flex joint installed