Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Borla or Thermal

AOSRYJP

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
'23 Explorer ST - Agate Black
I know this comparison has been made and the question asked, but I just got my ST. Borla S Type supposed to be delivered tomorrow. I wanted something with a bit more growl, but not loud and NO highway drone. Saw a thread complaining about the noise at normal driving speeds. My question is does anyone have a video or sound clip of the Borla S-Type or the Thermal 2.5" at normal driving speeds? Everything I see is under load.

Reactions
Easy answer with the Thermal is that it’s near silent at constant/highway revs.

OP
A

AOSRYJP

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #3
Easy answer with the Thermal is that it’s near silent at constant/highway revs.
Thanks, THNX. Is it loud or anything when you are just driving 20 or 30 down the street?

Reactions
Thermal with flex sections included to get rid of Ford's horrible flex pipes. I have the 2.5" and there is zero drone and not loud. I have seen a few posts where owners have the 3", which has a deeper tone.

OP
A

AOSRYJP

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #5
Just got delivered. Haven't even opened box. Already considering selling it to get the Thermal. Gotta figure it out.

Reactions
Thanks, THNX. Is it loud or anything when you are just driving 20 or 30 down the street?
I dunno. Maybe I’m just tolerant of noise, but I personally think the Thermal 2.5” is very high quality but is basically how this should have sounded from the factory. Meaning it sounds good, but is definitely closer to OEM sporty sounding vs something aftermarket with other cars that I’ve modified. The Thermal 3” is what I later changed too and that’s better as far as being a bit louder, but is still pretty quiet unless you’re legitimately getting on it.