Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Bolt-on power mods

locoliberty

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
Looking at doing some simple bolt-ons with my 2022. Mostly for ease of towing and because I have little self control.

There doesnt seem to be a performance sticky(we should work on that), but from what I can find tho the fenfab intake pipes do add some power which is cool. But what about exhaust.

There is a long concept thread on "whats needed" but no mention if any actually provide any performance improvement for the ST or how any performance changes. So whats the deal? Anyone have some dyno graphs or info?

Reactions
Your late to the game, there's wealth's of knowledge on here on what works and what doesn't if you look around a bit. Biggest bang for your buck is obviously a tune, next would be an intercooler, Ideally do them together... that takes your stock ST into the deep 12 sec territory. Beyond that plenty of bolt ons and performance options, just how much you want to spend and how far you want to go. Theirs tune/intercooler only guys in the mid 11s on e50 tunes. If towing is your main concern though I would just hit up ZFG about doing you a 93 tune (for when your not towing) and a tow tune and call it a day.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
What your looking for is all over this site. Search in the top right is your friend (y)

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
Looking at doing some simple bolt-ons with my 2022. Mostly for ease of towing and because I have little self control.

There doesnt seem to be a performance sticky(we should work on that), but from what I can find tho the fenfab intake pipes do add some power which is cool. But what about exhaust.

There is a long concept thread on "whats needed" but no mention if any actually provide any performance improvement for the ST or how any performance changes. So whats the deal? Anyone have some dyno graphs or info?
You'll hear it a lot, FMIC (front mounted intercooler) and tune is the way to go. Tough to stick to 'bolt on' mods cause that means turbos too lol...

OP
locoliberty

locoliberty

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
Thread Starter #5
What your looking for is all over this site. Search in the top right is your friend (y)
at a certain point its good to just sticky something. Sure flame me for saying it but I read through like 5 threads this morning with no clear answer and said screw it ill ask the question thats probly come up 100X

You'll hear it a lot, FMIC (front mounted intercooler) and tune is the way to go. Tough to stick to 'bolt on' mods cause that means turbos too lol...
I mean rods got bolts to right :ROFLMAO:

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions

I'm going to give you a dyno chart. This is a completely stock ST with just a ZFG tune. With 93 octane, you'll see a nearly 100HP gain in performance. With E50 tune, nearly 150HP gain.

It doesn't take a huge leap of logic to realize that if the stock exhaust and intake can support that level of performance, that there aren't any exhaust or intake mods that are going to make any appreciable difference until you exceed those horsepower levels.

Now, if you swap the turbos (and I'd also swap the downpipes at that point), you might find that there might be some more performance to be found from changing the intake an exhaust.

As far as an intercooler, it might not make a big difference in a single 1/4 mile pull, but it will allow you see more consistency in the intake manifold temperatures which makes it a must have IMHO.

1667510587888.jpeg

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
An I/C alone will not gain you any power, but it will slow down heat soak, which is a good thing especially when towing. The factory I/C is the same size as the one ford used on the focus ST, it may be the same one IDK. The focus ST is a ~2500 lb car with a 250 hp 2.0 single turbo setup and the factory I/C was undersized even on that car so you can only imagine how undersized it is on a ~5000 lb SUV with a 400 hp 3.0 twin turbo v6. If you get nothing else, get an I/C. It will greatly improve your towing experience.

OP
locoliberty

locoliberty

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
Thread Starter #8
An I/C alone will not gain you any power, but it will slow down heat soak, which is a good thing especially when towing. The factory I/C is the same size as the one ford used on the focus ST, it may be the same one IDK. The focus ST is a ~2500 lb car with a 250 hp 2.0 single turbo setup and the factory I/C was undersized even on that car so you can only imagine how undersized it is on a ~5000 lb SUV with a 400 hp 3.0 twin turbo v6. If you get nothing else, get an I/C. It will greatly improve your towing experience.
True enough. IC is a minimum, but its unclear otherwise where improvement can be had with nuking the warranty.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
You never mentioned warranty until now. Do you want power…or do you want a warranty?
If it’s the latter…get an IC and the Ford Performance tune.
Otherwise…screw the warranty and let it eat.