Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

BMS Battery Management System

Reactions
Sleep time or the forced reset, from what I read. But I’m doing both to be safe
Sleep time never worked for me, mine would sit an entire weekend and not reset. The brights and brake pedal did work.

Rick

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Rapid Red
High Beams 5 times, then brakes 3 times. Is the proper procedure to reset the BMS

1. Push the start button with no foot on the brake pedal

2. Flash the high beams five times, then press the break pedal three times

3. Wait about 2 to 3 seconds you’ll see the battery icon flash two times The BMS System is now reset.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
It is important on these vehicles if you jump start or charge the battery that you do not hook the negative battery cable directly to the battery. Instead you should hook the negative to a grounding point on the chassis such as a shock tower bolt. If you hook directly to the battery the electricity flowing into or out of the battery is not accounted for by the battery monitoring sensor and can throw the charge algorithm out of whack.
Is this actually a thing? I've been hooking up my battery maintainer directly to the negative battery post and haven't noticed any ill effects.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Standard Jump starting practice to prevent any sparks when making final connection from causing a battery explosion.

Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
Standard Jump starting practice to prevent any sparks when making final connection from causing a battery explosion.
Not sure if your response was directed at me, but my question as related to the included quote about charging and not jump starting.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Not sure if your response was directed at me, but my question as related to the included quote about charging and not jump starting.
I was replying to the jump start part, but the car should also be charged using a ground on the car body when charging for the same safety reasons. The positive lead to the battery first, then connect ground lead to the car body. My charger instructions say to connect a short jumper on the ground terminal, then connect the positive charger lead to the battery, then the negative charger lead to the jumper, if the battery has been removed from the car.

Rick

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Rapid Red
This is the proper location for your negative battery cable … on the backside of the BMS Monitor While charging the battery… I bought my 2020 Explorer August of 2019. I still have the original battery… connecting your negative battery cable on the backside of the BMS enables the BMS Monitor to recognize it is receiving a charge. connecting to the front Side of the BMS is incorrect. 20230808_222603_Original.jpeg

Last edited: