Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Bluetooth music - starts to go in/out after a couple songs

KegsBdry

Reactions
When using Bluetooth to play Pandora music from my Android phone, after a few songs, the music starts to go in/out as though it’s not streaming fast enough. I thought it was a slow connection to internet causing the issue but when I disable Bluetooth, and the phone is playing the music without going through the vehicle’s speakers, it plays just fine (with a great cell signal). This even happens when playing songs directly off my phone when connected to Bluetooth (meaning, the music is on the my phone, no streaming from the internet). Is Bluetooth not working well for anyone else out there?

Reactions
I've had mine lose connection via Bluetooth while driving down the road (iPhone 11). Happened 3 times when I first got the ST but hasn't happened again in over a month.......

OP
KegsBdry

KegsBdry

Reactions
Thread Starter #3
I've had mine lose connection via Bluetooth while driving down the road (iPhone 11). Happened 3 times when I first got the ST but hasn't happened again in over a month.......
Did you get an update or an oil change (chance for a software update) since it stopped happening again? I did a test recently to add Android Auto (which i do not like) but it stopped the Bluetooth music from going in/out (but I only tested this once so I'll confirm on a longer trip sometime soon).

Reactions
No it has not been back to the dealership since a couple days after I bought it to have the center console safe installed. When it is a due for an oil change I am going to ask them to make sure everything is up to date software wise. I am not to fond of apple car play in the ST either, Android Auto and Apple Car Play worked much better in my 17 Super Duty. Now that I've said I haven't had a problem in a while it will probably do it again soon. I'll update if it does. Please keep us posted if you get it to work or find a "fix".

Reactions
When I pick up mine in March I did a sync update. Made my phone a hotspot and download the update. Ever since than Spotify work and is controlled from my watch to get it started in the ST after that I can skip like normal from the wheel. Just remember to select your device before playing as a source.

OP
KegsBdry

KegsBdry

Reactions
Thread Starter #6
When I pick up mine in March I did a sync update. Made my phone a hotspot and download the update. Ever since than Spotify work and is controlled from my watch to get it started in the ST after that I can skip like normal from the wheel. Just remember to select your device before playing as a source.
I've verified the software is up-to-date, I checked yesterday. And to be clear, the Bluetooth does connect to my Android and it works fine for a few songs. I can skip a song and control the media from my stirring wheel too.

But after a few songs, Pandora or MediaPlayer (on Android) stops playing smoothly. The audio begins to go in/out (as though it's a bad signal) and the only fix I found thus far is to cycle the Bluetooth button on my Android. When I disabled the Bluetooth, the sound came out smoothly on my Android as though there is no problem. That tells me there's something wrong on the Bluetooth or Ford side of the equation. It has happened about 3 times on long trips, getting kinda old at this point.

My fix is now trying out Android CarPlay, which I do not enjoy. Half a screen! Why Ford? Just why?

Reactions
Had another glitch the other day. Would not connect to my phone via Bluetooth. Tried manually clicking the St in my phone while clicking on my phone through the ST display. Had to shut the vehicle off and restart to get it to work. I've started taking videos of things not working ( Ford Navigation ) so when i take it in for an oil change next month I can prove the issues.

Reactions
No it has not been back to the dealership since a couple days after I bought it to have the center console safe installed. When it is a due for an oil change I am going to ask them to make sure everything is up to date software wise. I am not to fond of apple car play in the ST either, Android Auto and Apple Car Play worked much better in my 17 Super Duty. Now that I've said I haven't had a problem in a while it will probably do it again soon. I'll update if it does. Please keep us posted if you get it to work or find a "fix".
Sorry this is off topic but how do you like the console safe? I’m thinking about getting one. You had to have it installed though?

OP
KegsBdry

KegsBdry

Reactions
Thread Starter #9
Had another glitch the other day. Would not connect to my phone via Bluetooth. Tried manually clicking the St in my phone while clicking on my phone through the ST display. Had to shut the vehicle off and restart to get it to work. I've started taking videos of things not working ( Ford Navigation ) so when i take it in for an oil change next month I can prove the issues.
Taking videos is key, smart. Only when I showed the picture and videos did they know I had real proof. Told them this needs to get fixed, and not bandaid fixed either. Already talking to their service director to get these Gremlins put to rest. Hopefully, this dealership in Waldorf MD gets it straight this time!

Reactions
Sorry this is off topic but how do you like the console safe? I’m thinking about getting one. You had to have it installed though?
I love the safe! I had one in my 17 F350 so I've gotten use to the "security" of leaving a "protection device" in the vehicle. I only had the dealer install it because I had them throw the safe and install in for free before I bought the ST, which they had to order. I'm sure you could install it yourself, only took the dealership about 10-15 min to have it installed. I will say that the opening is a little small but the one in my F350 was huge. I'll take some pictures of mine if you'd like to see how it looks.

OP
KegsBdry

KegsBdry

Reactions
Thread Starter #11
Did you ever get the Bluetooth issue fixed? I've been so mad at how this Sync3 has worked with my Bluetooth to my Android phone. Half my calls sound terrible & I've started losing Bluetooth connection randomly (sometimes, mid-call). The ST is 2020 & my Android phone is 2019. It shouldn't be a problem! :mad:

Reactions
Did you ever get the Bluetooth issue fixed? I've been so mad at how this Sync3 has worked with my Bluetooth to my Android phone. Half my calls sound terrible & I've started losing Bluetooth connection randomly (sometimes, mid-call). The ST is 2020 & my Android phone is 2019. It shouldn't be a problem! :mad:
They flashed it while I had it in for service last weekend. I haven't had any issues since but we are going on a 10 hour drive to Tennessee tomorrow so we'll see how it does. Mines a March 2020 build and have an iPhone 11 Pro Max ( that is up to date as well )

OP
KegsBdry

KegsBdry

Reactions
Thread Starter #13
They flashed it while I had it in for service last weekend. I haven't had any issues since but we are going on a 10 hour drive to Tennessee tomorrow so we'll see how it does. Mines a March 2020 build and have an iPhone 11 Pro Max ( that is up to date as well )
I'm thinking I should just suffer with Android CarPlay to see if it gets any better. Do you have to have the bluetooth connected to make a phone call through the SUV?

Time to try things out.

Reactions
I'm thinking I should just suffer with Android CarPlay to see if it gets any better. Do you have to have the bluetooth connected to make a phone call through the SUV?

Time to try things out.
Yes I constantly get calls for work while I'm driving. I don't use Apple Car Play, strictly bluetooth.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
today after an extended phone call, my friend started saying i was cutting in and out and started 'sounding like a robot'. odd. does not compute.