Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Bluetooth disconnecting

KegsBdry

Reactions
Does anyone else having issues with their Bluetooth disconnecting randomly? Eventually ending on the message: "the media device is not available"

The fix (or temporary fix) is to manually disconnect / reconnect my phone via Settings > Bluetooth.
And I do not use CarPlay. I hate how it only uses only the top-half the screen and takes away a lot of the options at the bottom of the screen.

Anyone got a fix for this issue?

Thus far, I've deleted my phone and re-added my cellphone. Not certain if that's a permanent fix or not.

OP
KegsBdry

KegsBdry

Reactions
Thread Starter #2
I am going to go with no one else is having this issue. :confused:

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Tough to say. Too many variables. Could be your phone. I was having blank Sync screens the last few months. It still happened after 20136. Then upgraded my iphone 6S Plus to iphone 11 Pro Max and have not had any blank screens for the past month and a half. So who knows?

OP
KegsBdry

KegsBdry

Reactions
Thread Starter #4
Tough to say. Too many variables. Could be your phone. I was having blank Sync screens the last few months. It still happened after 20136. Then upgraded my iphone 6S Plus to iphone 11 Pro Max and have not had any blank screens for the past month and a half. So who knows?
Fair point.

I bought a second version of my smart phone: OnePlus 7 Pro (because replacing the cracked screen somehow cost me more than buying another one). Anyways, my latest updated phone (newest one) sometimes loses connection via bluetooth while I'm driving. But my cracked phone (which I never run updates on) stays connected, no problem.

It also could be the older version of music app that I run that could be the main culprit. I don't like to update to the latest music app version due to the ads. :(

In a nutshell, you're right. Too many variables.

Odin

Reactions
Got the latest sync update, improved the bluetooth connectivity, but then I'm rarely in the vehicle more than an hour. I've found that going straight audio connection (rather than mobile apps --> Pandora) works more consistently, but I lose the album art / track info display. On the positive side, it does mean I can use my Waze for realtime traffic updates and directions that lower music volume seamlessly.

All of these things are supposed to work this way with display on the built in tablet display through Android Auto, but the Sync implementation of Android Auto is absolute trash. My brother offered to use his "previous generation or three" of iphones to test carplay or whatever the IOS equivalent is - do you think it'll work any better? I'd pay for a data-only plan and slap the iphone into a hidden mount if it meant not having to deal with the awkward sync system and non-functional android auto.

-Odin

OP
KegsBdry

KegsBdry

Reactions
Thread Starter #6
Got the latest sync update, improved the bluetooth connectivity, but then I'm rarely in the vehicle more than an hour. I've found that going straight audio connection (rather than mobile apps --> Pandora) works more consistently, but I lose the album art / track info display. On the positive side, it does mean I can use my Waze for realtime traffic updates and directions that lower music volume seamlessly.

All of these things are supposed to work this way with display on the built in tablet display through Android Auto, but the Sync implementation of Android Auto is absolute trash. My brother offered to use his "previous generation or three" of iphones to test carplay or whatever the IOS equivalent is - do you think it'll work any better? I'd pay for a data-only plan and slap the iphone into a hidden mount if it meant not having to deal with the awkward sync system and non-functional android auto.

-Odin
If you think it'll change the way the tablet displays the carplay, then you're in for a let down. Sync will display only half the carplay on the tablet. Meaning, using an iphone over an android will not produce different results.

I've ended up giving-up on the whole carplay connection all together. I use my 1st smartphone for waze traffic & a 2nd older-software smartphone (connected via hotspot) to play pandora via bluetooth. Plus, I use the navigation of the car too (to help with directions from the dash). It takes 5 mins to setup, but it's worth a comfortable ride.

I've come to terms with Sync's limitations. Every release has been total trash. But it looks prettier than a few other center consoles out there now. Most look rather dated in their technology.

It's sad that a smartphone can get up-to-date to be more functional, but these center infotainment systems are stuck as they are when sold!!! Car companies have to learn a thing or two from Tesla on this problem.