Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Blown Gaskets

wycsailor

Reactions
2021 owners, keep an eye on your engine gaskets. My oil pan gasket went at 12,000 miles and a few weeks later I started smelling oil burning again. After 2 more trips back to the dealer they finally found that one of the valve cover gaskets has blown as well. Part backorders have kept me out of it for 1 week each instance.

It's been a challenging ownership experience so far. At 100 miles I was stranded because they forget to tighten the main cooling hose and it popped off, draining the engine in short order and requiring a flatbed trip back to the dealer. I'm beginning to wonder if the heat stress from that is what's causing these other failures. I really enjoy driving it so hopefully it otherwise holds together. On the bright side my dealer has provided excellent customer service through all of it.

RadioJoe

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
My 2020 ST is in the shop now - getting valve cover gaskets replaced. The problem started when I smelled something burning in the cabin. Very acrid smell that makes your eyes water. They first replaced my cat, said there were welds leaking, but that didn't solve it. Brought it back to the dealer and they saw smoke in the engine compartment near the firewall. Turns out that the valve cover was leaking oil onto the turbo resulting in smoke that was getting sucked into the fresh air intake for the cabin. Hope this fixes the problem, tired of driving with the windows open.

RCF71

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Interesting! My wife just told me she has seen smoke come out from under the hood twice this past week when she started it first thing in the morning, so I got on here and searched for smoke and found this.

It sounds like this could likely be the culprit. Sucks since we are planning to leave for New Mexico in a week and a half.