Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Blackstone Laboratories Transmission Oil Analysis report

bguild

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I promised I would send in the Blackstone Labs transmission fluid report from my recent fluid swap. This is a 2020 ST with 41,500 miles.

Note the comments. Trans Fluid overly oxidized. High aluminum and nickle. They are saying it was good I changed it.

Kind of makes you wonder a lot about keeping the fluid in there for 100k or more.

Would love to see a few more people pony up the $45 for ATF w TAN acidity analysis. Would give us a good baseline on what is healthy for these vehicles.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Attachments

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
I plan on doing my 2020 at 30,000 miles, so will let you know. Its at 25k right now. Its been tuned from Day 1 and driven hard so will be interesting to see what we find.

You can check out the other blackstone thread for my engine oil dips if you need a baseline for that.

What did you replace the stock trans oil with?

OP
bguild

bguild

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
I plan on doing my 2020 at 30,000 miles, so will let you know. Its at 25k right now. Its been tuned from Day 1 and driven hard so will be interesting to see what we find.

You can check out the other blackstone thread for my engine oil dips if you need a baseline for that.

What did you replace the stock trans oil with?
Mercon ULV

OP
bguild

bguild

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
Huge improvement!! I was about a quart low, and as you saw the fluid was real bad.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Was it a full fluid flush? I asked my local dealer about it and they told me its not something they are willing to do.

OP
bguild

bguild

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #7
Not a "full" flush as a mechanic would define it. I had mine done at Ford and they use the fluid exchange machine. Sadly this doesn't get all the fluid out of areas like the converter. But still, good move to have done it at 40k (dont trust me, trust Blackstone!), and now "newish" fresh fluid at the proper level in there.

I don't blame Ford for not wanting to do it. If you peep the service manual the fluid, they claim, is basically "lifetime" or 150K miles.

But, in practice, people are losing transmissions at less than 50k due to low fluid, bad fluid, etc.

This car needs new trans fluid every 40k miles MAX. My non ASE mechanic-based 2 cents based on lots of reading.

Reactions
Got my results back after 54k miles and the fluid was fine....

1695853834171.png

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Gotta love Blackstone…making people worry about nothing for decades. lol