Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Black wheel touch-up paint

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Recommendation, please. Curb bump-out exiting a bank drive-thru made a mess of my front right wheel. Grrrrr! Yes, I was pi$$ed - there's now a reflector to warn people.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I used a few coats of this about a week ago on 2 of my wheels. Looks much better now.

20230324_141348.jpg

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
I touched mine up with some "Satin Black" touch-up paint. That's when I learned the tires were not rotated correctly. The curb rash was only on the right-side wheels.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
GRrrrr!

Attachments

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
That's ugly. Sorry you have to face that.

hbalek

Reactions
This happened to me last September on the same wheel. It was traumatic but I'm over it for months now. Mine is not that noticeable fortunately and I rarely look at it.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST 401A Pkg White Met Tri-Coat
-IF- the rims are truly aluminum. Get some emery paper, sand down the scratches and mars with the paper wrapped around a little wooden block. Dab this stuff on it with a q-tip.
It's a chemical reaction with the aluminum. Wont come off as easy as a marker or paint, etc. I use it on aluminum framed guns.
Figured its a cheap experiment for ya. Never tried it on wheels, but ya never know as long as they are real aluminum.
Amazon.com : Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black Touch-Up 3 Oz : Hunting Cleaning And Maintenance Products : Sports & Outdoors

Reactions
Vehicle
20' Explorer ST
I was going to ask about this on the wheels, I got some minor "chips" on the wheel. Is there a way to fix that or just use that sharpie above to hide it?

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I used a few coats of this about a week ago on 2 of my wheels. Looks much better now.

View attachment 17093
Did it stick? I have a one inch rash on two wheels on the same side and a scratch on my roof rack. I'm just wondering if this marker lasted. I'd like to find something that will last for a long time wihtout re applying constantly.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
It will stick if you prep surface.
De grease, etc.
Maybe sand it down a bit if there are rough edges. Mask it off if necessary and go for it. It will look better than the scratch.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I used this on a small curb rash and it worked perfectly. Was done on my aftermarket wheels. not factory ST wheels.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HE688MA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

View attachment 17878
Did it stick? I have a one inch rash on two wheels on the same side and a scratch on my roof rack. I'm just wondering if this marker lasted. I'd like to find something that will last for a long time wihtout re applying constantly.
This will stick for a long time. Just like Flyman mentioned, prep the surface.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
As college football season approaches Mr. Badger...Go Illini!

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
As college football season approaches Mr. Badger...Go Illini!
Haha I love it! It is certainly more interesting with Illinois being stronger these days. The B1G West is going to be intriguing this year, I think.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Indeed sir, the west is wide open. New quarterbacks for most, maybe all depending on what Fleck does about his situation.
I can't thank you enough for noticing that illini are on the rise. It's been dark times.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
So I ended up getting this product and it is a perfect match. Time will tell if it holds up.

Gloss Black Rim Touch Up Paint, Car Rim Paint Pen. Black Wheel Rims Paint Universal Color. Quickly Fix Rim Scratches, Chips, Curb Rashes and Surface Damage (Gloss Black) https://a.co/d/ePDZZxv

Explorer ST Posts