Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Black Infotainment Screen

Reactions
The infotainment screen has gone black on me a couple times now. This happens while driving and turns back on a couple minutes after going dark. Music and navigation prompts turn off. Has any one else experienced this? known issue and fix?

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Had it happen once on startup. No idea on the cause or anything I did that was different than normal. Held down the L an R radio buttons for a few seconds to reset and everything was fine.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Like Sync is rebooting? has happened a couple dozen times in the past 3 years.

OP
mcfarlrm
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
Like Sync is rebooting? has happened a couple dozen times in the past 3 years.
That could be what's going on. The infotainment system completely shuts off and turns back on. The ST logo will reappear then everything is back to normal. The system would shut off for about a minute or two each time it has happened.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
That could be what's going on. The infotainment system completely shuts off and turns back on. The ST logo will reappear then everything is back to normal. The system would shut off for about a minute or two each time it has happened.
Yup. Sounds like it. At least it's not a black screen that just stays that way. When it does reboot, I have no idea why it's doing it. And as far as reboots go, I've probably done a manual reboot (PWR + FFWD buttons together) over a hundred times in the past 3 years because of quirks in the Sync.

hbalek

Reactions
FYI I was having a lot of Sync and Navigation problems last year and late last summer I had to do a factory reset. I later found out that I had breadcrumbs enabled in the Nav settings and that really slowed everything down. This makes sense because the system is constantly working to drop a point on the map every second you're driving. Once Breadcrumbs was off, I have had no major problems or glitches.

OP
mcfarlrm
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
FYI I was having a lot of Sync and Navigation problems last year and late last summer I had to do a factory reset. I later found out that I had breadcrumbs enabled in the Nav settings and that really slowed everything down. This makes sense because the system is constantly working to drop a point on the map every second you're driving. Once Breadcrumbs was off, I have had no major problems or glitches.
I'll check my setting for this feature. I have intermittent delays in the system every now and then.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I had this happen to me twice when I was driving on vacation this summer. Just held the reset button and everything fired up normally again. Hasn’t happened since then again it also happened during long drives some more opportunity for things to go wrong. However, it didn’t happen at all on the 10 Hour drive home

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
Has anyone experienced a grayed-out screen like this? Nothing worked except the radio and the cameras. It happened this afternoon. I turned the car off and went inside to google how to soft reset Sync, and when I went back and turned on the vehicle, everything was back to normal.

Attachments

hbalek

Reactions
Has anyone experienced a grayed-out screen like this? Nothing worked except the radio and the cameras. It happened this afternoon. I turned the car off and went inside to google how to soft reset Sync, and when I went back and turned on the vehicle, everything was back to normal.
I've never seen that before! Looks like a Volvo! LMAO

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
First I've seen that one also. I would just keep an eye it. If you take it in to service they would most likely say unable to duplicate. If it starts to happen often enough that they can is when I would take it for service.

hbalek

Reactions
First I've seen that one also. I would just keep an eye it. If you take it in to service they would most likely say unable to duplicate. If it starts to happen often enough that they can is when I would take it for service.
2 words: software update! I just completed mine and my Sync is up to date. I did the downloads using wifi so it was really slow and took about a week to complete. I wanted to see if it was possible over wifi. I think in 3 years I did another update over wifi too. Usually I get frustrated waiting and get the old USB stick and download the files. I read online that this one was a smaller update.