Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Best tunes???

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
I currently use 5 star for my 2020 2.3 explorer. On 93 tune with cold air intake and resonator delete ran a 13.6 with the little 4 banger!!

In another week my 2022 ST will arrive!!!

Any other tune companies I should check out for my new explorer?

Thanks

Reactions
Well let me tell you from experience that 5 star is by far the worst tune out there. The baseline tune from zfg is leaps and bounds ahead of five star. Don't waste 600 bucks like I did.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

OP
ARC

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
Thread Starter #3
Well let me tell you from experience that 5 star is by far the worst tune out there. The baseline tune from zfg is leaps and bounds ahead of five star. Don't waste 600 bucks like I did.

It was my first time tuning a turbo engine.
The 5 star tune seemed to put good power to the 2.3 eco boost.
I will check out ZFG as I have heard good things about them.
Thank you

Reactions
The 5 star tune puts all the power down at a very low rpm and then it falls on its face after that. Zfg creates a very linear power throughout the gears. Trust me.

Reactions
I currently use 5 star for my 2020 2.3 explorer. On 93 tune with cold air intake and resonator delete ran a 13.6 with the little 4 banger!!

In another week my 2022 ST will arrive!!!

Any other tune companies I should check out for my new explorer?

Thanks
Those are pretty damn good runs! Giving an older tuned Sport a run for its money.

As someone said, ZFG is probably the best tuner for these cars. PBD and geartune? have also gotten great reviews.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
there's another thread on this forum that has the 'best tunes' ranked (informal) by some of the experts here. goes something like ZFG, PBD then L something then 5* .

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
L is Livernois. Just get the ZFG tune- there is no comparison in knowledge.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
L is Livernois. Just get the ZFG tune- there is no comparison in knowledge.
There’s really not, and I know it probably reads like a lot of fanboy crap but Adam is just the best there is with these things.
For Coyote cars/trucks…Ken Osborne has the same reputation and after using him to retune my blown F150 I understood why he has the reputation he does.
Someone has to be the top dog…with the ST it’s Adam.

LokiWolf

Reactions
there's another thread on this forum that has the 'best tunes' ranked (informal) by some of the experts here. goes something like ZFG, PBD then L something then 5* .
Yeah, That list is probably a year old.

I feel like it should definitely be amended.

Here is where I would put those in the game currently.

1. ZFG
2. PBD
3A. Gearhead
3B. JDM
5. LMS
Last. 5*

That is how I see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Ya know 5 star sees this shit, but does nothing to fix the problem. What a joke.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Ya know 5 star sees this shit, but does nothing to fix the problem. What a joke.

They really don’t care, or likely don’t have the resources to care. 5* is trying to cover the mass market of vehicles ( including RVs) instead of focusing on specific platforms to hone their skills to be “the best”, or at least competitive with the best.

I’ve only paid a very few tuners for their tune, but I can say that ZFG is the best I’ve paid for. In reviewing the data logs from my ZFG tune(s) it’s obvious (to me) that he is doing it as I would want, but with MUCH more skill and experience. The SKILL & EXPERIENCE is what we’re paying for and well worth it.

Where I have troubles getting everything working together smoothly, Adam already has it looking like oem where a team of engineers developed it! IMO and with logged results, you can’t buy a better tune.

OP
ARC

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
Thread Starter #12
I sent ZFG an email with a request to tune, and what all have said here and NO response.
Hoping that they see this thread and reply....
Will gladly take all recommendations into account and go with ZFG!

Reactions
It’s the holidays and he is a one man show. Give him some time and I’m sure he will get back to you.

LokiWolf

Reactions
I sent ZFG an email with a request to tune, and what all have said here and NO response.
Go to his website and order the tune. No e-mail needed. You will then get instructions on pulling your stock tune if you already own a RTD or MPVI2 and credits. If not, you need to order the hardware and tunes.

Manley00

Reactions
Did you already purchase? If not- that’s def the first step. Is to get the equipment. If you have gotten the equipment- the only thing you need to do is rip your stock file and send it through the app. Once that’s done go on his site and submit a TDN request for your base map on whatever fuel/ mods you’re running.

You can also use the chat feature in their site to contact them. They also have a phone number you can text. I’m sure he is incredibly busy- I’m also sure it’s certainly not intentional.

I have used all three methods above to communicate with him . Good luck and hope you enjoy the new tune when it’s rolling!

OP
ARC

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
Thread Starter #16
Thank you all.

ZFG has gotten back to me, however I already have an SCT Tuner and ZFG does not use them.

I had this tuner from another tune company and being that I paid 350.00 for it about a year ago I would like to reuse it.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Thank you all.

ZFG has gotten back to me, however I already have an SCT Tuner and ZFG does not use them.

I had this tuner from another tune company and being that I paid 350.00 for it about a year ago I would like to reuse it.
Sell it and buy an HP device. They’re better for a reason.

LokiWolf

Reactions
Thank you all.

ZFG only tunes on HPTuner hardware…not SCT. No e-mail to him will change that.

Buy at RTD package via the ZFG site, and get the process started.

OP
ARC

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
Thread Starter #19
Who said anything about tying to change thier platform?
I'm here to ask questions, slow down.

LokiWolf

Reactions
Who said anything about tying to change thier platform?
I'm here to ask questions, slow down.
You made a comment you had e-mailed them.

The reason you gave, was that you had an SCT tuner.

We are simply helping you realize, that if you want a ZFG tune, that device will not work.

Want to get your ZFG tune quicker. Go to the website, purchase the RTD+, and add a Tune to the checkout. When you receive the RTD, follow the instructions to read your Stock file, and go from there.