Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Best Fuel?

TGoodman

Doctor
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Hey Everybody!
Just got my Explorer SR Atlas Blue 401A Street Package. Ordered it May 9, 2022 so not too bad of a wait. I am beyond excited and love it more than I love some family members LOL
Owner's manual recommends using fuel with minimum of 87 octane but prefers 91.
This is my fourth Explorer. Traded in my 2016 Explorer Sport for this one. I used 89 octane in it.
What are your thoughts, given the price of gas nowadays!
Tracy G

Attachments

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Dunno where everyone is from but gas prices here in San Diego have dropped. Cpl weeks ago I was paying $6.79/gallon for 91. This last tank I filled up a cpl days ago, it was $5.19/gallon also for 91. So my opinion, lol it’s a lot better. Relatively.

hbalek

Reactions
The most I paid this year was 4.99 and yesterday I paid 3.98. I still always get 87 octane.

Reactions
87 Octane from Costco for years, runs fine.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
87 for me. Every once in awhile I throw in 93 and yeah, there’s a little difference but it’s very minimal. Ran 87 for 60k miles in my old 2.3L turbo explorer and it did fine. I suspect the 3.0LTT will do just fine as well.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Hey Everybody!
Just got my Explorer SR Atlas Blue 401A Street Package. Ordered it May 9, 2022 so not too bad of a wait. I am beyond excited and love it more than I love some family members LOL
Owner's manual recommends using fuel with minimum of 87 octane but prefers 91.
This is my fourth Explorer. Traded in my 2016 Explorer Sport for this one. I used 89 octane in it.
What are your thoughts, given the price of gas nowadays!
Tracy G
this is just my opinion of coarse. but how much more is it for a full tank of gas? I honestly dont even know the costs of gas but I have friends that will drive all over town or wait in 30 min lines to get gas that is 5 cents cheaper per gallon. thats 5 cents x 20 = 1 damn dollar even at 50 cents thats only $10 bucks for 20 gallons. not worth the chance in my opinion. not worth it even if warranty covers it.
you bought a "high performance" SUV treat it like one. Yes I know dont flame me its not really high performance.
Plenty of people above got away with running 87 and that's awesome this is just my opinion no one is right or wrong.
Google engine knock

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
this is just my opinion of coarse. but how much more is it for a full tank of gas? I honestly dont even know the costs of gas but I have friends that will drive all over town or wait in 30 min lines to get gas that is 5 cents cheaper per gallon. thats 5 cents x 20 = 1 damn dollar even at 50 cents thats only $10 bucks for 20 gallons. not worth the chance in my opinion. not worth it even if warranty covers it.
you bought a "high performance" SUV treat it like one. Yes I know dont flame me its not really high performance.
Plenty of people above got away with running 87 and that's awesome this is just my opinion no one is right or wrong.
I just think the difference between 87 and 93 is marginal. For Monday through Friday driving to work and picking the kids up, 87 gives plenty of power and fun. We’re all owners of STs here which isn’t a cheap car. For me, 93 or 87 makes absolutely zero difference in my financial state. I just don’t like the idea of paying more for something if I don’t really have to. I’ll throw in 93 here and there and try to convince myself it’s worth the extra few bucks but I never walk away noticing a huge enough difference.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I just think the difference between 87 and 93 is marginal. For Monday through Friday driving to work and picking the kids up, 87 gives plenty of power and fun. We’re all owners of STs here which isn’t a cheap car. For me, 93 or 87 makes absolutely zero difference in my financial state. I just don’t like the idea of paying more for something if I don’t really have to. I’ll throw in 93 here and there and try to convince myself it’s worth the extra few bucks but I never walk away noticing a huge enough difference.
I agree I dont use 91 for more HP I am stuck in my ways and we always use highest oct to reduce chances of knock. if the explorer ST is rated for 87 then 87 is fine. I will still use 91 just incase. lol there is no way I could leave this SUV in the shop getting a new motor even under warranty I need it I would buy another one.
I will say if your gonna tow a boat or something on the heavier side or going to the drag strip def get the 91.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I wouldn't get 93 oct unless I was tuned for it. I dont have that option in Cali anyways. I do agree that is not going to change anything.
what do other states offer 87-89-91-93 ?

Reactions
22k miles on mine in two years, City and Hwy driving. No engine knocking and all the power I ask for. .I have only used 87 since day one mostly from Costco. It's not about saving any $$, It's just NOT necessary to use a higher Octane. (For my type of driving)

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
87 Octane from Costco for years, runs fine.
Mine's on its second tank of Costco 87. No difference noticed until I had to lean on it more than usual. Not quite as peppy, but the cost-per-mile is certainly better lately.

Reactions
I don't believe you will see ping in the computer driven engines we have these days. I would imagine, as with previous turbo vehicles I have owned, that using the lower octane than recommended just doesn't give you the hp and tq numbers as advertised because the computer will sense the possible ping and detune the engine accordingly. Someone can correct me if I am wrong with the Explorer.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I don't believe you will see ping in the computer driven engines we have these days. I would imagine, as with previous turbo vehicles I have owned, that using the lower octane than recommended just doesn't give you the hp and tq numbers as advertised because the computer will sense the possible ping and detune the engine accordingly. Someone can correct me if I am wrong with the Explorer.
That’s exactly what happens. Only other thing I’ve read is more chance of carbon build up with the lower octane. That’s why I throw 93 in once in awhile. If that makes any actual difference.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
You are right. You will give up some torque/HP over a higher octane fuel.

That’s exactly what happens. Only other thing I’ve read is more chance of carbon build up with the lower octane. That’s why I throw 93 in once in awhile. If that makes any actual difference.
Perhaps in older vehicles which weren't able to adjust timing/enrichment on the fly, you might have seen more deposit build up, but I can't see any reason why 87 would leave more deposits in the ST. In higher mileage engines, I recommend adding a can of Techron or Seafoam to a full tank every oil change. Keeps the deposits down, keeps the injectors clean, and will also help with Catalytic converter CELs (due to injectors).

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
You can run any fuel rated 87+, but it won’t give you the rated 400/400 performance of the engine. The spark plugs don’t last as long either, but most drivers won’t notice.

For me, the “best” fuel is 50/50 93/E85. It will net you much more performance than the Ford-rated peak power. Enough “extra” for a completely stock ST (other than fuel & tune) with full fuel tank, loaded with 3 car seats and grandkid support items, to run 12.1 @ 114 1/4 mile while in air conditioned and seat massaging comfort. YMMV…

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
You are right. You will give up some torque/HP over a higher octane fuel.

Perhaps in older vehicles which weren't able to adjust timing/enrichment on the fly, you might have seen more deposit build up, but I can't see any reason why 87 would leave more deposits in the ST. In higher mileage engines, I recommend adding a can of Techron or Seafoam to a full tank every oil change. Keeps the deposits down, keeps the injectors clean, and will also help with Catalytic converter CELs (due to injectors).
Good to know, thank you. I thought I read it had to do with the fuel injection type on the ST.