Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Beat up by a car wash

Blackssr

Reactions
I'm not angry. You called out a guy because he used a car wash/power wash, and stated it should only take 10 minutes to wash a vehicle with a hose and bucket.

I called you out, because that's not a true statement for, I dare say, the majority of people who wash their vehicles.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Okay, we're not making much progress here so I will give as much closure to our debate as I can before I head to the golf course and meet wife for lunch.

I didn't call the guy out about a car wash. He was complaining that the car wash did damage to his vehicle and I stated the obvious. He should wash his own car or risk damage with an automated car wash. I was not attacking the guy. The final decision is his and has absolutely no effect on my life whatsoever. I would rather leave my cars filthy then go to an automatic car wash. That is my choice and doesn't work for everyone.

You stated it's impossible to wash a car in 10 to 15 minutes and that is incorrect. It is totally possible if the car is is cleaned often and just needs a quick wash to keep her up the snuff.

So I guess we're done here.
Enjoy your day and hopefully I'll shoot under par and have a great day as well. It's 80 degrees today with bright sunshine and powder blue skies. Lol

Reactions
Really that long... Maybe you should come to Florida for a vacation and I'll give you some tips on how to cut that detail time in half..

Nah...Who am I kidding. Lol... I'll just take you to Pure Platinum gentlemen's club in the VIP room and we'll have a blast...lol..
For real that long. My wife was the one that pointed out the time after telling her a few times I was going to give the car a “quick wash” lol. I never noticed how long it took because I really enjoy taking care of my cars.

You should upload a YouTube vid on your process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I can’t do a thorough job on my car or truck in less than 3 or 4 hours. Doing a complete interior detail expands the hours greatly. A full polish will double the amount of time if not more. I find that I really only spot polish for the most part these days. I’ve found that if you keep the finish clean and protected full polishes are really only an occasional need. I’m a big believer that you don’t polish more than needed. You can’t put it back on.

Yeah, I use a product like IronX, clay where needed, a foamer, a pressure washer, clean under the hood, dry with an electric dryer, dress the tires and plastic trim, spray sealant, etc., etc. I don’t use all of these each time I wash but using only a portion of these products typically takes me into the 3 hour range.

Tires, wheels, wheel wells and visible suspension pieces can take me over an hour just to do this even though I have the right tools for the job. Lug nut sponges really help on these recessed lug nuts.

7FD01FD1-D1FC-4362-9CF5-3FE80C442609.jpeg

Putting some type of protection (wax, sealant or coating) on the wheel barrels does wonders to help manage brake dust. It comes off so much more easily when protected. You’ll know when it’s time to reapply. Dirty wheel barrels drive me crazy.

Someone was mentioning bugs on the front of their car. I’ve found this product to be top notch. We get mosquitoes pretty bad much of the summer here in Utah. I’ve known Steve for a very long time. I find most Poorboys products to be a very good value.

39489FEB-D87A-4548-9F1F-C6E58EE90850.jpeg

Last edited:

Blackssr

Reactions
@GearHead_1 . I just order the Poor Boys bug squash.. Didn't even know they offered it. Thanks for the tip. You just saved my another minute off my daily routine! LOL.

Last edited:

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
This one is also a little known but a very nice specific use product. Some wonder if they aren’t the same product but they do not smell the same if that is any real indicator (I know it isn’t). :)@Blackssr

I believe it would be a good idea with both of these last products I’ve mentioned a touch up to the area with the wax you are using would be a bit of insurance. I have all of Poorboys waxes on the shelf, fact is I have almost every product they make on the shelf. I don’t have their coatings though I’ve been urged to try it. I’m in to easy and most coatings seem like a lot of work. Poorboy’s own site has Natty’s Blue on sale right now at $20.

I carry an emergency kit in a zip lock bag of Poorboy’s products, quality towel etc. (4 oz. sprayers and what not) in my vehicle.

ABA1F7DE-EE26-4F42-9FF3-A7C3E9E301E4.jpeg

Last edited:

Blackssr

Reactions
This one is also a little known but a very nice specific use product. Some wonder if they aren’t the same product but they do not smell the same if that is any real indicator (I know it isn’t). :)@Blackssr

I believe it would be a good idea with both of these last products I’ve mentioned a touch up to the area with the wax you are using would be a bit of insurance. I have all of Poorboys waxes on the shelf, fact is I have almost every product they make on the shelf. I don’t have their coatings though I’ve been urged to try it. I’m in to easy and most coatings seem like a lot of work.

I carry an emergency kit in a zip lock bag of Poorboy’s products, quality towel etc. (4 oz. sprayers and what not) in my vehicle.

View attachment 5272
hmmmm... Interesting on the bird sh@t remover. Never really have that problem.

Your zip lock bag is also travel friendly.. You can take with you on an airplane and through security!

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Funny you mentioned not having the Bird problem. For the most part we don’t either. It’s probably a Utah Valley problem or at least at the 3 WalMarts close to me. If you park in their lots there is a good chance a baby Magpie (these guys are full size but all black) will give your car a look and perhaps leave you a present. Don’t know what it is but these little buggers scavage the parking lots. I don’t see this at other stores.

Blackssr

Reactions
Funny you mentioned not having the Bird problem. For the most part we don’t either. It’s probably a Utah Valley problem or at least at the 3 WalMarts close to me. If you park in their lots there is a good chance a baby Magpie (these guys are full size but all black) will give your car a look and perhaps leave you a present. Don’t know what it is but these little buggers scavage the parking lots. I don’t see this at other stores.
When I go to Home Depot, Lowes or even Walmart. I park so far away that a need a snack and break by the time I make into the store because the distance nearly wipes me out. ( It is that far. LOL. I made it to Base Camp 2 on Everest 3 years ago... I am in decent shape. Well, you get the point ). When I come out of either establishment, Walmart is the worst, there is always a complete piece of garbage car parked literally on top of me. I am like: WTF? I never take two spots and I never take Handicap. I just rather park far away because door dings drive my batty and they can be avoided. People are just douchebags.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Same here. You can’t hide from these people.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
You two need to get a room! I pay a detailer every couple months...and call it good. I take it you're
both available for detailing services? ;-)

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Not a chance. I don’t love mowing lawns and I don’t love detailing cars. I do it because others don’t care for my stuff the way I do. I’m in it for the results only. Now if someone wanted to come over and have me help them or teach, they can have or use anything I own and I’d help them until they couldn’t lift a microfiber.

Last edited:

Blackssr

Reactions
@GearHead_1 I can see South Florida being problematic, but I would think Utah is a much nicer place to live. The world is just filled with jealous people.
As far as moving out of South Florida. Never I love it here. I just cannot do cold. If it is 70 here, I am miserable. The warmer the better for me. I have not worn a jacket in 25 years.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
It only takes that one and they’re in every state.

Reactions
In Ogden it's the Seagulls picking through trash left in the parking lot.

Reactions
If you're clay barring "every weekend" you don't know diddly squat about detailing.

Reactions
If you're clay barring "every weekend" you don't know diddly squat about detailing.
I'm trying to be better with car care and have been googling stuff I read here. Didn't know about the clay bar so I looked into it. After reading up on it I was wondering why anyone would use a bar often at all?

Reactions
I'm trying to be better with car care and have been googling stuff I read here. Didn't know about the clay bar so I looked into it. After reading up on it I was wondering why anyone would use a bar often at all?
You shouldn't, if it needs it by all means, but using a clay bar is a once a year thing at the most, which also necessitates polishing afterwards.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I believe that the frequency of claying depends a great deal on where you live, exposure to the elements and surroundings. I’d dare say that vehicles that aren’t garaged have a greater need for more frequent claying. I know that I wouldn’t do it at a set time unless I was planning on a complete detail.

For me, if I‘m doing a full claying I’m following it up with at the very least a light polish. I’ve found that even the lightest clays can leave some form of micro-marring very evident with a ScanGrip or equivalent light and even more so if it’s a darker color. I spot clay rust blooms as needed on white and other light paint. If they’re are a lot of them, (never on my own vehicles) I’ll use some type of iron remover and evaluate the need for clay. For the most part if it’s bleeding purple from the iron remover it will likely need some claying.

Last edited:

Blackssr

Reactions
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MPYDYWT?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share.

This item allows you to use it with soapy water and it keeps the paint residue free as well as smooth as glass. It takes only a few minutes per panel if you do it often. On my cars, the finishes are smooth as glass. Like I said, it rains 4 days a week here and then the sun comes out even stronger and bakes the acid rain and dust into the paint and it feels gritty. That is not something I am willing to live with on my vehicles. I lived in Dubai for almost 9 years, between the Sun and the sandstorms, my Range Rover was constantly beat up and the paint was horrible. This annoyed me greatly. Detailing a car there was not an option. The elements were constantly against you. As you're drying it, the sand in the air was scratching the paint. My flat didn't have a garage so the car was outside all the time. I just gave up.
Now back to the speed bar, give it a shot it's only 15-20 bucks. The warmer weather is coming where most people live and you'll be able to see for yourself how smooth the paint will be using the speed bar frequently. After the car is dry, just apply a quick coat of wax and remove with a microfiber towel. The results will speak for themselves.

Last edited: