Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Beach/Sand

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer ST
Has anyone taken their ST on the beach as I was curious on how it performed? Any feedback, thoughts or views would be appreciated. Thinking about taking my ST to OBX this summer. Thanks

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Our beaches are packed harder than most roads. Don’t need to change modes.

Reactions
Has anyone taken their ST on the beach as I was curious on how it performed? Any feedback, thoughts or views would be appreciated. Thinking about taking my ST to OBX this summer. Thanks
Be careful. If you go to the north end of 12 around Corolla, it's pretty soft. Seen more than a few stock 4x4 F150s stuck. Only my opinion, but the ground clearance isn't high enough for loose beach sand. That and the fack if you do get stuck, how are you going to get it out. Older ST had a recovery hook, newer ones don't. Finally, I've never been a fan of cleaning a bunch of sand from under the truck.. just sayin.

OP
R

ricebriana

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #4
Thanks for the responses. I have taken a Tahoe to OBX for the last 10 years and have had no problems on the Corolla beaches. I do have 20 inch wheels which should help a bit. Isn't the ground clearance for the Tahoe and ST basically the same or so it says. Thanks

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I haven't had my ST on the north OBX beach yet, but I've driven it a bunch in many different vehicles. A few weeks ago we had my partner's Bronco Sport OBX out there and it did great.

IMO airing down is the key. With the air up station near the Whalehead Club there's no reason not to.

We will be back down there in a April and I will take my ST on the beach then. I'm not planning to cross the dunes and go to the interior area. I think that's where the ground clearance will be a problem, but if I see 1 that 's pretty flat I may go for it. Mine has 21" wheels. I will air down to about 20 PSI and start out in sand mode.

OP
R

ricebriana

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #6
Thanks for the response. Helpful