Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Bad CV joints

Vell

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer
Hi. I just purchased a 2020 Ford Explorer in July. Had my 1st oil change last week. They informed me that my driver's side cv joint was leaking. Come to find out the passenger side had already been replaced before I bought it. Has this happened to anyone else. Did I get a lemon? I seem to do that alot. Ughhhh!!!

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Common issue. If it's under 60,000 miles should be under warranty.

OP
V

Vell

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer
Thread Starter #3
Common issue. If it's under 60,000 miles should be under warranty.
Yeah. Right at 50,000

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Both fronts will fail at some point. The boot design has been updated on the replacements. Normal, covered under powertrain warranty, and super easy and cheap to do if you're out of powertrain warranty.

OP
V

Vell

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer
Thread Starter #5
Yeah. The last owner had replaced one already. I just thought this was unusual for it to happen on a newer car. I've never had to replace them on any of my other vehicles.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Yeah. The last owner had replaced one already. I just thought this was unusual for it to happen on a newer car. I've never had to replace them on any of my other vehicles.
It is unusual. They are faulty. Just another flawed part for MY2020 and early MY2021, like catalytic converter pipe welds, failing flex sections, and likely axle hub actuator leaks (as these cars pack on the miles).

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Welcome to the forum.

Reactions
Had my passenger side replaced twice now. First time at 40k miles and second at 50k miles.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Passenger side replaced at ~32k for leaking CV joint under warranty.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
85k and never had a boot leak. Just replaced both because the DS inner was starting to pop. After pulling the old the PS inner wasn’t far behind.

Bluey!

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Found this condition on Saturday - driver side. Going in for warranty replacement this Saturday.

Attachments