Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Backup Brake Assist

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Hi All,
Just wondering if there's a way to disable it without compromising the ICC stop/go feature.
I hadn't experienced the backup brake assist until yesterday and including today, I thought I actually hit what I was backing toward and realized the ST hit the brakes and not the car behind me.
When it happened today, I thought, "I know I didn't hit the curb", and sure enough, I was a foot and a half away. Don't think I've ever backed into anything so I could do without this feature.
Thanks for your thoughts!

hbalek

Reactions
Hi All,
Just wondering if there's a way to disable it without compromising the ICC stop/go feature.
I hadn't experienced the backup brake assist until yesterday and including today, I thought I actually hit what I was backing toward and realized the ST hit the brakes and not the car behind me.
When it happened today, I thought, "I know I didn't hit the curb", and sure enough, I was a foot and a half away. Don't think I've ever backed into anything so I could do without this feature.
Thanks for your thoughts!
I modified my behavior so that the bot doesn't think I'm reckless. LOL I like having the feature burt I agree if you're not expecting it, it can scare the crap out of you!

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
It is under the driver assists in the settings in touchscreen.

OP
Suprawill1
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #4
I modified my behavior so that the bot doesn't think I'm reckless. LOL I like having the feature burt I agree if you're not expecting it, it can scare the crap out of you!
Right? lol

Reactions
I have never been able to turn it off permanently but turning off the parking sensors (button beside the button for the hazard lights) is an easy way to turn off the reverse brake assist. Have to do it every time you start the car but it’s one button easy. Also disables the annoying parking sensor beeps.

OP
Suprawill1
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #7
I have never been able to turn it off permanently but turning off the parking sensors (button beside the button for the hazard lights) is an easy way to turn off the reverse brake assist. Have to do it every time you start the car but it’s one button easy. Also disables the annoying parking sensor beeps.
Good to know, thanks!

hbalek

Reactions
I enjoy all the bells and whistles on. I'd rather be annoyed than accidentally damage something.

Reactions
I enjoy all the bells and whistles on. I'd rather be annoyed than accidentally damage something.
To each their own. I drove for 19 years without so much as a scrape before my car was built so I don’t feel the need for them myself. In tight parking lots all the warning alarms were just irritating.

OP
Suprawill1
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #10
I myself have never hit anything in a parking routine in over 50 years of driving. I don't mind the bells and whistles but I don't appreciate the music being interfered with every time I come close to an object. (ATM etc) It's amazing how many times things come within the range of the sensors in the course of travel/parking. Again, I appreciate how far technology has come and even marvel at some of the features but there are some things that I've been doing for years without assistance. The only things I would like to avoid is musical interference and that sudden unexpected braking while backing.

hbalek

Reactions
To each their own. I drove for 19 years without so much as a scrape before my car was built so I don’t feel the need for them myself. In tight parking lots all the warning alarms were just irritating.
I paid for them and I want to use them. I enjoy technology. I have driven for almost 40 years and don't damage my cars. Machines aren't perfect and are not to be trusted 100% of the time and neither are humans or should be trusted 100%. LOL I have never hit anything in parking ever in 40 years. I can't tell you how many times people weave into my lane all the time. Or how some idiots take forever to parallel park. Not to mention the idiots who drive at night with their lights off and I honk and flash at them! All these idiots need technology to do things for them! If I ran NHTSA I would make auto headlights mandatory, lane-keeping, blind-spot and parallel park.

Last edited:
Reactions
I paid for them and I want to use them. I enjoy technology. I have driven for almost 40 years and don't damage my cars. Machines aren't perfect and are not to be trusted 100% of the time and neither are humans or should be trusted 100%. LOL I have never hit anything in parking ever in 40 years. I can't tell you how many times people weave into my lane all the time. Or how some idiots take forever to parallel park. Not to mention the idiots who drive at night with their lights off and I honk and flash at them! All these idiots need technology to do things for them! If I ran NHTSA I would make auto headlights mandatory, lane-keeping, blind-spot and parallel park.
Like I said, to each their own

hbalek

Reactions
Lately driving in the fast lane on highways and the speed of drivers ahead of me varies from 45 to 75 routinely here. It's caised by bad drivimg. Intelligent cruise control please! If everyone used it we would all travel more safely and efficiently.

OP
Suprawill1
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #14
Lately driving in the fast lane on highways and the speed of drivers ahead of me varies from 45 to 75 routinely here. It's caised by bad drivimg. Intelligent cruise control please! If everyone used it we would all travel more safely and efficiently.
Primary causes of this is total lack of law abiding driving and newbie drivers. I blame most of it on texters and people waiting till the last minute to cross all the lanes for an exit. Texting while driving used to be a secondary offense but has been upgraded to a primary offense which in my opinion did absolutely no good because it's never enforced. Drivers know this so they freely text their hearts out.
I've been run off the road 3 times by texters and was lucky to survive twice.

hbalek

Reactions
Primary causes of this is total lack of law abiding driving and newbie drivers. I blame most of it on texters and people waiting till the last minute to cross all the lanes for an exit. Texting while driving used to be a secondary offense but has been upgraded to a primary offense which in my opinion did absolutely no good because it's never enforced. Drivers know this so they freely text their hearts out.
I've been run off the road 3 times by texters and was lucky to survive twice.
The stoners and texters and the stoned texters think they're ok to drive as long as they drive super slow. LOL

OP
Suprawill1
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #16
The stoners and texters and the stoned texters think they're ok to drive as long as they drive super slow. LOL
Right? And it wouldn't be so bad if they conformed to the old rule, "slower traffic keep right".
The left lane used to be reserved for passing.