Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Backup Assist, Hill Start, Advance Trac, AWD Fault...

Reactions
I am at 55K miles on my 2020 Explorer ST and have been getting the Backup assist error for like a year. Occasional Hill Start and Advance Trac for months but usually went away after restarting. Then last week I got all of them every time AND the 4WD fault which put me into the sorta limp mode with no modes or features.

Took it into the dealer and they were mostly fixed by a new battery (still was on original) which is understandable after 4 years but the car was starting fine and the battery tested well. The other issue was the AWD module which was replaced under extended warranty.

So happy to have it back in good order but the funny part is I googled these issues when I got them and the consensus was low voltage and a bad AWD which happened to people around 55K miles.

At least it wasn't something weird!

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

powerboatr

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Weird battery issues csn cause all sorts of loss of communication with modules
At start up, the voltage drops to low and every thing looses it's mind.
It's pretty common among all ford's
Excellent it was taken care of

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
I am at 55K miles on my 2020 Explorer ST and have been getting the Backup assist error for like a year. Occasional Hill Start and Advance Trac for months but usually went away after restarting. Then last week I got all of them every time AND the 4WD fault which put me into the sorta limp mode with no modes or features.

Took it into the dealer and they were mostly fixed by a new battery (still was on original) which is understandable after 4 years but the car was starting fine and the battery tested well. The other issue was the AWD module which was replaced under extended warranty.

So happy to have it back in good order but the funny part is I googled these issues when I got them and the consensus was low voltage and a bad AWD which happened to people around 55K miles.

Dennis.

Glad the problem was resolved.

hbalek

Reactions

Dennis.

Amazing you were still on your first battery! My first one lasted about 19 months or 17K miles. Now I've been on the second battery for about 34K miles or 3 years.