Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Back from ceramic coating

Reactions
I also believe ceramic coating is a sales pitch and a gimmick. I've always taken pride in regularly detailing my own vehicles. I use a traditional paste wax applied and removed circularly by hand (no machine) twice a year, and use a brand name car wash soap with carnauba wax weekly. Looks brand new for years!! It is that easy, no clay bars or any abstract higher priced detailers ideas.
No I understand. I think the issue is a lot of people use the words liberally. The stuff that I use is professionally applied and kind of acts like an exoskeleton on top of the PPF that will be installed on my ride. I live in the desert and generally don’t like getting multiple chips, etc on my ride. You still have to take care of it (a lot of people think that ceramic coating means you don’t have to do anything else) and wash it regularly. I just view it as one more added form of protection. If you want to wax your vehicle regularly, that’s also your business. To each his own is what I say....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
I also believe ceramic coating is a sales pitch and a gimmick. I've always taken pride in regularly detailing my own vehicles. I use a traditional paste wax applied and removed circularly by hand (no machine) twice a year, and use a brand name car wash soap with carnauba wax weekly. Looks brand new for years!! It is that easy, no clay bars or any abstract higher priced detailers ideas.
Definitely not a gimmick. Ceramic creates a chemical bond to the clear coat. Wax is simply a sacrificial layer. Using both is the best thing you can do (wax on top of ceramic), however doing so is unnecessary with a good coating.

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
My black ST is ceramic coated and I love it. I use P&S Bead-maker after every wash. Really looks awesome. Oh yea, just passed 20 years in the Army (figured I should throw that in there) :)

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I dont know what a bug scrubber is but if is an abrasive brush then it will scratch. (Disclaimer: I am Youtube trained) I am sharing my understanding. The ceramic is there to prevent dirt and water from adhering to the paint, protecting the paint and making it easier to wash and maintains an awesome shine without waxing. But you still have to use non-abrasive washing instruments. The clear bra protects from rock chips. I watch Chicago detailers videos,he reviews products and gives detailing techniques. I used the basic maintenance wash video for ceramic coated vehicles. He explains the importance of removing potential abrasive material on the car and a good car soap to help trap and remove the dirt plus two bucket method etc.
Where did you get the clear bra? I like them but heard it traps moisture. Is that true?

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Where did you get the clear bra? I like them but heard it traps moisture. Is that true?

Disregard, I figured it out. Not the old bras I am used to.

Reactions
I guess I gave into the "Marketing Gimmicks, Hooplas and what not." I treated my ST to the Paint Correction, then had it vinyl wrapped with Xpel and finally had it ceramic coated with Ceramic Pro 9H. Absolutely love the outcome and I will be scheduling my annual maintenance soon. Keep the pics coming fellas, love seeing what everyone is doing with their STs.
The vid was sent from an Iphone, I have an android so there is always QC loss when downloading between the 2.

Attachments

ASmith

Reactions
@Symetry, I’m not really sure how to keep a thread like this going as it began life with the OP showing off his beautifully coated ST. We didn’t really get into any conversation about what type of products people like.

It might be an idea to start a new thread that discusses users favorite products and certainly allow everyone a voice to discuss why they like or use these product. There isn’t any one end all product and what works for one may not be a good choice for the next guy. I feel bad that I was part of styfuling this thread. I’d ask the OP and for the rest of you folks to forgive me for my part in that.

ASmith

Reactions
I swear by Meguirs ceramic coat and booste
r spray. No white run or haze onto the plastic which can be a nightmare. And as far as the dark gray plastic on the quarters and bumpers, I use the 303, for interior and exterior, makes the trim dark and glossy.

Attachments

Reactions
I use a foam cannon with Chemical Guy's HydroSuds Ceramic Car Wash Soap. For the tires I Iike Gliptone's Wet Look Dressing. Leaves it looking like glass everytime.

Last edited:

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I use a foam cannon with Chemical Guy's HydroSuds Ceramic Car Wash Soap. For the tires I Iike Gliptone's Wet Look Dressing. Leaves it looking like glass everytime.
Have any of you tried the P&S Beadmaker? Gives it that carnauba wax deep shine and soft smooth feel. You can use it as a drying agent as well. Works on windows, rims, and the infotainment screen too.

Reactions
Got the front wrapped, Modesta ceramic coating on body and wheels.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
May I ask how much the Pros are charging to coat a vehicle of this size? If that’s to personal I get it.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Thank you, does it require any follow-up refreshers?

Reactions
I did a paint correction, which removes all swirls and marks on all painted surfaces and glossy black plastic, clay bar, then there are all kinds of coatings.
I chose the Modesta brand as I had experience with that product for years. In particular, BC-04, titanium glass coating.
I then chose to have the wheels removed and coated with Modesta BC-06 coatings.
These coatings should last 3 to 10 yrs. I got 7yrs from the first coating on my 2010 SHO.
Then I had the full front wrapped with Xpel Ultimate, all glossy black body trim wrapped, including door trim, and leading edge of roof.
The interior was fully detailed.
They had it for a week. $3k
As I keep my cars long term, like theyn to look good for the long haul, for me, it's worth it.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Reactions
Thank you, does it require any follow-up refreshers?
They check it out once a year, if it needs nothing they don’t charge if it needs boosted its $100 they said if you keep it clean it usually doesn’t need anything

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Just had ceramic put on the stock rims and can't believe what a difference. wheels.jpg

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
I bought a new to me white 2020 in January. I live in Ontario and it is my daily driver. I have a garage but don't think the ST will fit in it so I have been parking it outside.

It has a few rock chips on it but nothing severe.

I am planning on getting it paint corrected, ceramic coated and clear bra on entire front end including side mirrors. This is going to cost me 4k.

Am I being foolish?

Cruiser133

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I bought a new to me white 2020 in January. I live in Ontario and it is my daily driver. I have a garage but don't think the ST will fit in it so I have been parking it outside.

It has a few rock chips on it but nothing severe.

I am planning on getting it paint corrected, ceramic coated and clear bra on entire front end including side mirrors. This is going to cost me 4k.

Am I being foolish?
So 4k in Canada is like $250 here? Lol seriously if it is worth it to you then why not? I have been considering it myself...