Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Axle oil change

WhtST

Reactions
Anyone changed their axle oil yet? I've never had a awd car, plenty of 4x4s, is it the same? What gear oil did you use?

A differential is a differential....right?

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
For the 2020 Explorer the specs are on pages 400 and 401 of the owners manual. I don't know the pages if you have a 2021.

Reactions
I would think normal gear oil, i.e. 75 w 90. That's what I ran in my Subaru, really liked the Red Line products.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I would think normal gear oil, i.e. 75 w 90. That's what I ran in my Subaru, really liked the Red Line products.
That's not even close to the recommended oils. Front and rear both are to use multi-weight synthetic oils. Different specs also for front and rear. It's all in the owners manual.

Reactions
My ST is still on order, but I'd be curious to see what it actually lists out. Technically what I stated was a multi weight oil and Redline brand is sythetic so I don't see how one could say "not even close".

75W-90 is the standard weight for gear oil but I have seen Ford / Motorcraft axel lubricant which is 80w-90. Obviouusly I can wait for my manual to come but as one who likes to do their own maintenance I'm definitely curious.

Last edited:

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Here's a copy of the 2020 Explorer manual. The 2021 might be a little different. Right now the Ford Owners site isn't giving access to download them. You might try it to see if it works for you. Hope it helps while your waiting on your ST.

Attachments

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
My ST is still on order, but I'd be curious to see what it actually lists out. Technically what I stated was a multi weight oil and Redline brand is sythetic so I don't see how one could say "not even close".

75W-90 is the standard weight for gear oil but I have seen Ford / Motorcraft axel lubricant which is 80w-90. Obviouusly I can wait for my manual to come but as one who likes to do their own maintenance I'm definitely curious.
That’s why it’s best to actually know before someone sees a post and buys the wrong stuff.
The front takes 75W-140 synthetic.
The rear takes 75W-85 synthetic hypoid

Reactions
That’s why it’s best to actually know before someone sees a post and buys the wrong stuff.
Agreed and my bad, thought I knew and wanted to contribute here.

Interesting note here, the manual says that the ST takes 5W-30 engine oil? Ford had been using 5W-20 for years did they switch or is this incorrect?

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
It's incorrect that Ford has been using 5W-20 for years.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Agreed and my bad, thought I knew and wanted to contribute here.

Interesting note here, the manual says that the ST takes 5W-30 engine oil? Ford had been using 5W-20 for years did they switch or is this incorrect?
Here's the 2021 manual. For some reason the phone let me download it.

Attachments

Reactions
awesome thanks!

OP
WhtST

WhtST

Reactions
Thread Starter #13
The front takes 75W-140 synthetic.
The rear takes 75W-85 synthetic hypoid
Ive read that I'm my manual, but its counterintuitive and different from EVERY other truck I have serviced. Usually, the rear axle uses heavier oil than the front.

I was looking for real world experience and any tip/tricks.

OP
WhtST

WhtST

Reactions
Thread Starter #14
Finally got around to changing. The front diff fill plug is a little difficult to reach. The drain plug was installed by Thor but pretty straight forward.

Rear diff oil looked ok....not awful. The front fluid was dark and the magnetic plug was Christmas tree-esk. Lots of debris. With that amount of crud and the small oil capacity I'd recommend changing it early and often.

This was done with a little over 6k miles on the clock.

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Finally got around to changing. The front diff fill plug is a little difficult to reach. The drain plug was installed by Thor but pretty straight forward.

Rear diff oil looked ok....not awful. The front fluid was dark and the magnetic plug was Christmas tree-esk. Lots of debris. With that amount of crud and the small oil capacity I'd recommend changing it early and often.

What is the normal mileage to change these oils?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST

They are officially billed as "lifetime" oils. Its a new trend 'ze Germans started and its spreading. Doesn't mean lifetime of the car, just lifetime of ownership which the manual and most others assume to be 100,000k.

Personally? I plan to do transmission and diffs at 60k.

Reactions
My dealership says to do all the driveline fluids including transmission fluid every 50,000-60,000km (31,000-37,000mi) and that agreed with my own logic and professional past experience, so I’ll be servicing them roughly every 50k. I do not believe in “lifetime fill” fluids, experience has taught me there is no such thing.

Rick

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Rapid Red

at 6000 miles … why ?

OP
WhtST

WhtST

Reactions
Thread Starter #19
I always change fluid early. By the looks of the front axle....not early enough.

Oil is cheap insurance.

Rick

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Rapid Red
I always change fluid early. By the looks of the front axle....not early enough.

Oil is cheap insurance.
If your differential fluid is contaminated at 6000 miles you’ve got issues

Explorer ST Posts