Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Aviator, engine bay differences

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Lincoln Aviator
Post 1/3: highlighting key differences of 6th gen Explorers/ 2nd gen Aviators.
Many know the Aviator as the luxury, town-SUV, cousin of the Ford's Explorer. With a larger body and air-suspension, the Lincoln boast the same 3.0 v6 eco-boost and 10 speed transmission system. Other differences are well documented by Ford/ Lincoln but not compared. This thread to highlight the significant differences in the engine bay and hoard URLs/ files.

My UPR catch can came, and I'm beginning to understand how different the two models really are.

I'm seeing online the BL and GT models have an additional orange wire-harness from the Reserve (Hybrid vs gas only). I suspect this is for the Hybrid 10R80-MHT transmission as it's similar to the HEV Explorer. If you want to follow this rabbit trail:
>>> https://blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/69909-aviator-gt-engine-bay/
>>> https://www.cnet.com/a/img/resize/1...rd-explorer-hybrid-9.jpg?auto=webp&width=1200
I plan on coming back to the trans/drivetrain in another post.

Anyways, here's a game of spot the difference, engine bay edition (Explorer is the one without the strut brace).
1678820826895.png 1678820849060.png

First things first, you can see a few dilemma's with UPR's recommended CC mounting location -- it's a lot tighter. Visual inspection and geometric checks last night have me thinking an after market bracket may be necessary.
But good news is, there's an easy opening to install a drain tube on my catch can! Anyone have any experience building a Lowes/ HD special drain-tube for the UPR catch can??

Another wisdom, it's gonna take an abnormally large amount of brain power on a Saturday to trace the lines. Any advice will be greatly appreciated, or if someone wants to highlight the lines on the Ford/ Lincoln.. otherwise, I'll do it and get the internet points.

This definitely didn't give me hope for a future intercooler mod. But does make me more hopeful for the power of Ford/ Lincoln engineering.

DATABASE:
https://www.liaviator2.com/lincoln_aviator_2020_service_manual-2324.html
https://www.liaviator2.com/lincoln_aviator_removal_and_installation_front_bumper_cover-3452.html
https://www.liaviator2.com/lincoln_...peed_automatic_transmission_v_10r60-2702.html

Last edited:

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
That’s an ExST on bottom. That’s not an Aviator on top. Aside from some trim panels the Aviator looks pretty much just like the ExST under the hood.

OP
Chaser
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Lincoln Aviator
Thread Starter #4
That top picture is a 2.3L Explorer. My engine bay looks like the 2nd pic.
Ah! Thanks for the correction! Looks like the second one isn't a Aviator... seems Lincoln uses Explorers in their manuals.

OP
Chaser
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Lincoln Aviator
Thread Starter #5
That’s an ExST on bottom. That’s not an Aviator on top. Aside from some trim panels the Aviator looks pretty much just like the ExST under the hood.
X4. Yeah, they didn't even give me a stinkin Lincoln North Star emblem on the air box... Looks like I was panicking about the Blue Oval Forum post above

Last edited:
OP
Chaser
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Lincoln Aviator
Thread Starter #6

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Yeah... not really, Exploders don't come with the multi-piece engine compartment covers. I believe these would look much closer to each other with the covers removed. That said, the covers themselves may make adapting a catch can and an aftermarket air intake/pipes more difficult. Then again, maybe not. No doubt there is a way for a man with patience.

There are quite a few pictures on the site that show both stock engine bays as well as pics of vehicles with catch cans and air intakes installed. Probably worth a few minutes to seek those out.

Last edited:
OP
Chaser
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Lincoln Aviator
Thread Starter #8
There are quite a few pictures on the site that show both stock engine bays as well as pics of vehicles with catch cans and air intakes installed. Probably worth a few minutes to seek those out.
Not on the Aviator?

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Not on the Aviator?
I was under the impression you have the Aviator, no? My bad.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Let’s simplify this. It’s a catch can…not really a technical part. Find a place to mount it and run the hoses wherever they need to go. You don’t have to follow UPR’s placement. Mine is mounted to the strut tower just below my strut bar…I didn’t like it mounted up front.

OP
Chaser
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Lincoln Aviator
Thread Starter #11
I was under the impression you have the Aviator, no? My bad.
Yessir, I have the aviator. I thought you'd seen these 'mods' on the aviator somewhere online.
Always nice to see how someone else did it fist, but I agree with you nothing a man of patience can't easily do. Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
Chaser
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Lincoln Aviator
Thread Starter #12
Let’s simplify this. It’s a catch can…not really a technical part. Find a place to mount it and run the hoses wherever they need to go. You don’t have to follow UPR’s placement. Mine is mounted to the strut tower just below my strut bar…I didn’t like it mounted up front.
Oh nice, can you send me a pic? Might have to consider that mounting position..