Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Automatic Transmission fluid drain and fill - vacuum extraction method

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
This method is for the DIYer who wants to drain and fill their 10R60 with the least amount of hassle.

The conventional method is dropping the transmission oil pan, with oil pouring out, maybe replacing the filter while you are there, sealing it back up with or without a new gasket, filling it with about 5 qts or oil, driving it around, then checking the oil level again and topping it off as needed. You will be draining and filling approximately 5-6 qts out of the 12.6 qts that are in the transmission doing it by the book. See Factory Service Manual: https://www.foexplorer.com/ford_exp..._transmission_fluid_drain_and_refill-777.html

This method uses a vacuum extractor that many of you already are using to change your engine oil. You will be checking the transmission oil level (normal operating temperature), extract oil through the same fill hole, measuring the qty of oil extracted and replacing roughly the same amount (depending on initial level) and checking a final level. It will take about 45 minutes with a good chunk of that time getting the vehicle in the air (i used ramps in front and jack stands in the rear) and back down. Granted, I was only able to drain and fill about 4 qts and the filter does not get changed--but, the method is so easy and mess-free that I can see myself doing this once a year.

Information:
Automatic Transmission oil: Mercon ULV
Full level: 3 - 4.5 on the mini dipstick (temp 206-215F)
Tools used:
-19mm wrench for fill plug
-Vacuum Extractor: OEMTOOLS 24397 10 Quarts (2.5 Gallons) Manual Fluid Extractor, Oil Extractor Pump, Transmission Fluid Pump, Oversized Handle Manual Oil Pump Extractor https://a.co/d/1aTYPlo
-Oil transfer pump: Motive Products 1745 Power Fill... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0119DHX7O?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

IMG_8274.jpeg
Location of trans fill plug--view from Driver's side, above trans cooler. The mini dipstick underneath that.

IMG_8259.jpeg
Fill plug and mini dipstick: note the numbers in circles 1 - 6.

IMG_8260.jpeg
My level: 2... overfilled.

IMG_8261.jpeg
Vacuum extractor.

IMG_8263.jpeg
IMG_8264.jpeg
At 73k miles, oil looks spent compared to new oil. Would definitely recommend not waiting this long.

IMG_8266.jpeg
IMG_8268.jpeg
Pressure filler: $100 well spent. So much easier and less messy than hand operated oil transfer pumps. USA made too.

IMG_8272.jpeg
Final level.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I was thinking about checking my transmission fluid level at least once a year, but was not sure about changing it myself, what type of ramps are you using?

OP
C

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
I was thinking about checking my transmission fluid level at least once a year, but was not sure about changing it myself, what type of ramps are you using?
Race Ramps (2 piece). Make sure to use wheel chocks with them (learned this the hard way).

Last edited:

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I second the Race Ramps for in the garage or driveway work. Having said that, remember the car must be level when checking the transmission fluid. Something's got to be used to get the back end up too.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
If you have no leaks the fluid level won’t change.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
so
If you have no leaks the fluid level won’t change.
True, but I just want to check it a few times for piece of mind. I also plan on checking the drive train for leaks a few times a year.

OP
C

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #7
so
True, but I just want to check it a few times for piece of mind. I also plan on checking the drive train for leaks a few times a year.
Nothing wrong with that! I used the opportunity to spray some undercarriage rust with Fluid Film and also keep an eye on my fix for the axle hub actuator leak.

Reactions
I might do this soon. I have an electric pump. How far did you have to feed the hose into the fill plug?

Do you notice any difference now that you have the correct amount, and fresh fluid?

OP
C

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #9
I might do this soon. I have an electric pump. How far did you have to feed the hose into the fill plug?

Do you notice any difference now that you have the correct amount, and fresh fluid?
Hose inserts about 3-4" if I recall. Seems like shifting is smoother but could be wishful thinking.

Last edited: