Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Automatic headlights

Reactions
Does anyone know how to get around headlights turning on at all times?needed to retrieve an item unlocked car, headlights came on and stood on for some time.Any ideas?

Reactions
There is a setting for that somewhere in the menu's...

Although not sure "off" is an option, but I know there are some options for time they stay on.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I still have no idea why SYNC turns on if I merely open the door for 5 sec to get something in the car. Waste of power...

Reactions
If Sync didn't turn on and boot up when the vehicle was unlocked and a door opened then it would take longer once the car was started which would have more people complaining.
The headlights are on to provide light when approaching or leaving the vehicle which is nice in dark areas. You can adjust the time out in the menu.

OP
R
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
Thanks,muddy.

Symetry

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
My sync does not turn on until I press start button..nor do my headlights.

Jim

Reactions

Jim
Even if I just enter the car by grabbing the door handles to unlock my Sync starts up.

hbalek

Reactions
I still have no idea why SYNC turns on if I merely open the door for 5 sec to get something in the car. Waste of power...
It's called a welcome, embrace or greeting. Most cars these days do some sort of animated logo on all the screens when you open the door or turn on the engine. My 2013 Lincoln did the same. This has been around for a while. These new fangled fancy cars these days... LMAO Yes it does waste energy but it looks cool to me!

OP
R
Reactions
Thread Starter #9

Jim
Thank you,Jim.My sync works just like yours.However;my lights turn on as soon as I open the door(always on auto mode by default).Will stay on for approximately 5 minutes,regardless if I push ignition button .

Symetry

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Mine will only come on , if it's dark in the garage.

Outside in sun they don't.

Jim

Last edited:
Reactions
Hi,
Not sure how Sync starting up wastes energy. It might use some of the battery reserve that will be easily replaced while driving with absolutely no extra fuel required to recharge the battery. It would be almost nothing compared to actually starting the motor.
Cheers,
Ron

OP
R
Reactions
Thread Starter #12
Thanks again,Jim.my lights always fire up.even in daylight,I’ll look for a setting,maybe I’ll get lucky