Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Auto Start / Stop

Flanders

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
How come the overall consensus is that this is not a preferred option? Thanks

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST 401A Pkg White Met Tri-Coat
How come the overall consensus is that this is not a preferred option? Thanks
Should ask Ford.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Imo the only good thing is it MAY marginally improve mileage. This is the only reason automakers use it. Downside is more wear on starting system and possible more wear since the oil drains out of the filter every time the motor shuts off. I have no need for it and find it annoying best case, unsafe worst case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Imo the only good thing is it MAY marginally improve mileage. This is the only reason automakers use it. Downside is more wear on starting system and possible more wear since the oil drains out of the filter every time the motor shuts off. I have no need for it and find it annoying best case, unsafe worst case.

And kills the battery.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
The only reason the ASS system is even on vehicles is for the elevated EPA fuel mileage rating. It makes the declared Fuel Efficiency look better - ie...marketing. Does it improve mileage? Absolutely when used in a controlled environment. Is it a material improvement in real world.........I doubt it. The taxing of the starting system and drain on battery and annoyance factors have all been mentioned!

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
The only reason the ASS system is even on vehicles is for the elevated EPA fuel mileage rating. It makes the declared Fuel Efficiency look better - ie...marketing. Does it improve mileage? Absolutely when used in a controlled environment. Is it a material improvement in real world.........I doubt it. The taxing of the starting system and drain on battery and annoyance factors have all been mentioned!
At the Ford Experience. They said the Auto Start Stop can save 1 MPG per a tank of fuel.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
With auto start on, the A/C doesn't work as well and the air that comes out is much warmer (this is when the truck is OFF). And here in Phoenix where you sit at a red light in 115+ temps, its extremally noticeable. And just annoying that there is that small stutter at the start when you go to take off... Sometimes the truck doesn't start right up and takes another half a second that seems like an eternity. It wears down the start system as a continue starting of the engine at every stop. The fuel millage you notice is nothing... the extra fuel you use sitting at a red light at idle is barely anything.

And the wife and I drive 99% of the time in Sport and so that setting turns it off too.

I have grown to like the auto brake holding. It took a bit for me to get accustomed to it, but the wife hates it.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST Carbonized Gray
With auto start on, the A/C doesn't work as well and the air that comes out is much warmer (this is when the truck is OFF). And here in Phoenix where you sit at a red light in 115+ temps, its extremally noticeable. And just annoying that there is that small stutter at the start when you go to take off... Sometimes the truck doesn't start right up and takes another half a second that seems like an eternity. It wears down the start system as a continue starting of the engine at every stop. The fuel millage you notice is nothing... the extra fuel you use sitting at a red light at idle is barely anything.

And the wife and I drive 99% of the time in Sport and so that setting turns it off too.

I have grown to like the auto brake holding. It took a bit for me to get accustomed to it, but the wife hates it.
I also love the brake holding feature, we have plenty of trains in the area so I use it at train crossings since I won't be going anywhere soon lol!

hbalek

Reactions
I also love the brake holding feature, we have plenty of trains in the area so I use it at train crossings since I won't be going anywhere soon lol!
Auto-hold, now that's one feature I can never live without! Whenever I drive another vehicle, I am annoyed to have to remember to keep my foot on the brake so the vehicle doesn't roll! LOL

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST Carbonized Gray
Auto-hold, now that's one feature I can never live without! Whenever I drive another vehicle, I am annoyed to have to remember to keep my foot on the brake so the vehicle doesn't roll! LOL
Yeah, it's also great in drive thrus when the person in front can't figure out what they want lol!

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
At the Ford Experience. They said the Auto Start Stop can save 1 MPG per a tank of fuel.
5%?! Not even close. The fuel saving won't offset the cost of starters and batteries.

Reactions
5%?! Not even close. The fuel saving won't offset the cost of starters and batteries.
And the slight delay in acceleration in an emergency situation or quick left turn.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
The ASS isn't reasonable in everyday driving unless you live somewhere you might not move in traffic for long periods of time. It's the CAFE test that simulates situations like that so one way to inflate the fleet standards is to do something that mimics saving gas during that situation.

As others have said, in very short duration shut downs, it's hard on bearings and is hard on the battery (although, with current technology, you can usually restart within 240 degrees of crankshaft rotation). All in all, another feel-good function brought to us by bureaucrats with good intentions who also are idiots.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
I hear cars all around starting up at traffic lights and just cringe. I'm fortunate to have only ten traffic lights between home & work and only have to stop at three or less. If my commute was the agony many experience, I'd probably be on my second battery if I left the A.S.S. engaged.

gafool25

U.S. Navy Veteran
EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 explorer ST
It’s a waste! Some tree hugger came up with it