Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Audiofrog Sub installed (shout out to Fatguybuilds)

Reactions
B06E6A00-F10D-4AF6-A02F-A37EB3498291.jpeg 1F545D19-D185-48DA-ADB1-10E0529705CB.jpeg 4754CA3E-F783-462B-BA25-5375BE3084B7.jpeg 3FA2ED10-530F-4626-B9F9-7D33ADF78B2E.jpeg Shout out to Fatguybuilds for the legit install vid he posted the other day.

I immediately ordered the Audiofrog shallow 8” factory replacement sub that fits in our stock box. Difference is night and day over stock. Somewhat incredibly, the stock sub looks like a paper coffee filter with a 2” speaker underneath it lol.

Other than breaking a few plastic panel tabs rushing to do the install in 1 short evening, Im very happy with the purchase and highly recommend. I dont have to crank the bass up to hear a lil thump anymore (which always distorted the full range speakers miserably). This is how our B&O “upgrade” systems should have came.

Sorry I forgot to take pics of the new sub lol. I was in a big rush and was only able to take pics of what things looked like while i was taking it apart (for point of ref in case the sh@t hit the fan).

Last edited:

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Please don’t waste any more money on Kilmat...it’s not worth your time or effort.
I also question adding a sub to the oem ported enclosure. Did you run the numbers to see if it’s even compatible with that size enclosure, port size and length?
Sorry to sound harsh...but you can’t just drop different drivers in and go.

OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Figured the Kilmat was better than nothing and was on the super cheap on Amazon lol. No rattles so far so fingers crossed.

I’m not super audio savvy and usually have the experts do the install. But in this instance, I think Fatguy ran the #s and determined the setup would work so I ran with that and so far so good. Its not earth shattering like the 2 12s i used to run in a ported box back in the day, but it gets the job done, doesn’t take up half my trunk, and reminds me that the rock i listen to does have some bass, and thumps well enough to the occasional hip hop.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I tried to watch that video just now. When he said “OH it’s ported. That’s to make the airspace larger” I checked out. Guaranteed he didn’t do any measurements of any sort.
And it would be better off burning some CLD on the plastic enclosure itself. I’ve seen other videos from this guy...and his advice is sketchy at best on a lot of things I’ve seen.

OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
Yea I laughed when i heard that part. You should tune back into that vid around 7:32’ish so you can at least hear the sub. Maybe you can tell me whether you hear something that indicates im about to kaboom haha

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
There’s no way to tell anything from a video.
That subs specs say it’s good in .25 sealed or .5 ported. I’ve done a lot of work in that area of the truck and that enclosure I’d guess is quite a bit larger than .5. For any sub you have to model it for the size enclosure it needs. And port length is for tuning...without knowing the length or diameter or the stock sub specs there’s just no way to know what Fords intent was.

OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
Touché and i hear ya. Im sure its nowhere near the ideal, tuned woofer for the factory box, but its def a sizeable upgrade from the factory paper towel lol. As long as the setup lasts a couple years, Im good with it.

Reactions
Please don’t waste any more money on Kilmat...it’s not worth your time or effort.
I also question adding a sub to the oem ported enclosure. Did you run the numbers to see if it’s even compatible with that size enclosure, port size and length?
Sorry to sound harsh...but you can’t just drop different drivers in and go.
My 8" pioneer sounds fine in the stock box, I think it would surprise you how good it sounds. Hopefully I can make the Houston meet and you can listen to it.

Reactions
Touché and i hear ya. Im sure its nowhere near the ideal, tuned woofer for the factory box, but its def a sizeable upgrade from the factory paper towel lol. As long as the setup lasts a couple years, Im good with it.
Are you on the stock amp?

This sounded horrible running off the stock amp so I ran it off the kicker in the link.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0811X5S9J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_20646CX41T/Kicker-46CXA400-1T.html

OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #10
Yea, everything audio-wise is stock except the sub. Just guessing here, but your Pioneer sub (per the amazon link) is a 2-ohm unit and i believe our factory sub reads closer to 4ohms. Perhaps that could be the reason it sounded so bad? The audiofrog sub I just installed is capable of handling 1 or 4ohms i believe.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Any link to the audiofrog replacement woofer?