Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

ANYONE running SBfilter hot & cold side piping??

JshoreST

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
I am looking for a different option. I found that S&B filter has a cold and hot side set of piping for the st and was wondering is anyone is currently running this set up.... Please post pictures, their site has minimal information on them.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
The FenFab V2 hot side and original cold side look way better IMHO.

OP
JshoreST

JshoreST

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
The FenFab V2 hot side and original cold side look way better IMHO.
Yea unfortunately S&B does not have any pictures posted for hot side piping and I cannot find anything online that a clear picture of the set up. The price difference is almost 300-400 bucks in total.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
^ OEM is so despicable. :cry:

Though, I don't know how I feel about a silicone hose of that length, containing boost.
(Yes, it will "hold air", not like it is transparent to air. I mean the expansion of the tube will cause lag, etc)

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Even with how bad the factory cold side pipe looks, I'm not sure how much power is gained with an aftermarket one. With that being said, I wanted to improve the looks and IMO the AFE cold side pipe looks a huge amount better than that S&B one!
Cold Side Pipe.jpg

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I’m telling yall…FenFab is where it’s at. IMG_2832.jpeg

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
I won't disagree that the FenFab has a certain rough, A-Team feel to it. :cool:
I'm more of a red guy myself, and Mandrel-bent without welds showing is like talking dirty, so the aFe is where I put my bid.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Brett will coat them whatever color ya want…and his weld quality is a selling point. It’s also why I left mine uncoated. Then there’s also the ability to run a BOV that afe doesn’t offer. IMG_8923.jpeg

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I'm running FenFab hot and cold side and Brett's work is amazing. It may be a little more expensive but for me it was worth it!

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
I'm glad to hear Brett's work is sweet and that he works with his customers - always a bonus for anyone trying to customize their look.
Custom underhood is sweet

As far as BOV on aFe, they sell a set of pipes with a BOV port on it, which you could run the valve of your choosing on, right? :unsure:

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
They do not. They sell piping that mimics the 2020 oem stuff that used a bypass valve…that’s what the flange is for on their kit. If you have an early car you can run a Turbosmart valve but that’s it. I haven’t seen it but I assume they include a block off plate for later models that don’t come with that bypass valve.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
Thanks for the clarification!
I don't like BOVs so I wasn't invested in that when looking at piping.
aFe sells 2 kits, one for the early models with a factory recirc valve, and one that has no opening for the recirc.

It sounds like anyone wanting custom coloring, or run an actual BOV, FenFab and Brett are the only way to go. (y)

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Hell everything is in the way of changing the spark plugs. Takes a couple of minutes to remove the piping, strut brace, hard line bolts on top of the engine and a few other things to make it easier.

LuxST

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Hell everything is in the way of changing the spark plugs. Takes a couple of minutes to remove the piping, strut brace, hard line bolts on top of the engine and a few other things to make it easier.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: That’s true.