Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Anyone running auto octane zfg?

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
It's definitely a Bosch unit. The 3.0tt is a speed density unit (I've even seen the patents), which means it's unlikely to be the same as a MAF based unit. From what I can ascertain, the flex fuel Fords use direct injection AND port injection, so the ST ecu is likely limited to the Nano (2.7, 3.0) platforms.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
IMO, if true flex-fuel programming and interface hardware were already available in the current ST ECU, then I know of at least 2 tuner software/hardware vendors who would have it available in their software, HPTuners and Cobb Tuning. AFAIK, ZFG uses HPT exclusively. Several other top tuners use HPT and/or Cobb.

If Flex-Fuel capability was at the top of the “functions wanted” list for advanced tuners like ZFG, and it was “easy to do”, then HPT and Cobb would likely add code to perform it. If it was already there for use, then

FYI, there’s already more than a few “custom/customized” bits of code included with the current HPT and Cobb software.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
The F150 is just a static measure that displays on your phone. I think they use it to test the fuel then load a tune for it maybe? Starting to think it may not be in the ECM. If we could figure out the exact model, we could look at some flex fuel vehicles to see if any of them use the same ECU.

I also agree most tuners would be all over this. They certainly were in the CTS-V world but it took a LONG time for somebody to come out with a sensor due to the niche market. I just think it would be better to dynamically read your alcohol content and adjust your timing on the fly like we could in the GM world rather than sniff the exhaust to determine alcohol content. Perhaps a combination of both would be even better.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
The F150 is just a static measure that displays on your phone. I think they use it to test the fuel then load a tune for it maybe? Starting to think it may not be in the ECM. If we could figure out the exact model, we could look at some flex fuel vehicles to see if any of them use the same ECU.

…..I just think it would be better to dynamically read your alcohol content and adjust your timing on the fly like we could in the GM world rather than sniff the exhaust to determine alcohol content. Perhaps a combination of both would be even better.
Ford does(did?) sell a flex/fuel F150, but I’m not sure which engine it uses. For my Raptor 3.5 TT EB I added the Bluetooth output Fuel-It Ethanol Content Analyzer to keep tabs on the E content while running a pretty hot E50 tune. It displays on your phone app, so no added gauges, etc. The app includes interactive tables to tell you how much E85 to add to meet your set E content.
I have one for my ExpST, but haven’t had time to install it yet.

Yes, any “real” flex-fuel system reads actual E content for adjustment. For TT boosted true flex-fuel applications, there’s more to change than just fuel and timing. Just fuel and timing tables would be pretty big, depending on how much resolution designed in. Add in the Load, Torque, & Boost control target tables and I see it getting to be a pretty big deal.

Reactions
So there's also another odd ball solution in the GM world that maybe someone could build on for these things. A bunch of us on the C5 Vette forums in hopes of making them flex fuel compatible did a lot of ECU swapping and repining of factory harnesses... while all that was going on a company called Advanced Fuel Dynamics released a system (c5 vette specific) called the ProFlex Commander. Now essentially it was a piggyback that took control of your factory injector harness as well as the coilpacks (if i remember right) and could basically control the fueling and convert the signal the computer was seeing to make the injectors do what they needed to to maintain the e85... I never used it, don't know if it worked, frankly it seemed like snake oil to me. We we're able to use GM p59 ECU's to make the flex fuel function the way the factory intended so I never looked to far into it... That being said, I know some other guys in the thread said they tried it and had good luck with it. Now obviously they dont sell universal kits, and I'm sure the DI setup of these motors presents a whole new bag of problems but... Maybe worth looking into or reaching out to them? Just a thought.

edit: so after typing this I looked on their site. They do have Ford based applications as well. Nothing ST or Ecoboost specific though that I can see.

Last edited:
Reactions
Fair enough! That setup does include wiring harness sensors as well as the ability for the ECU to use it. GM must be using the same basic ECU for many of those cars even though they don't have the flex sensors from the factory. Interesting.
Its been like this for years....... 2.0t's from the ATS/Camaro's can also get this type of harness installed and have been able since 2016 I believe.

You can run a full tank of E-85 or 91 without any issues, no tune needed to be changed. Been this way with our ATS for the past 4 years. ATS made a ton more tq low on E-85 vs 91.

Last edited:
Reactions
Yeah that is what I figured. Is 93 generally everywhere?
Yeah they quote 50hp and torque gains when running 93 on the auto octane. Dedicated 93 tune is suppose to do 75 extra hp and torque. Guessing if I just ran 87 in the auto octane I'd probably be around an extra 25 hp or so.
Depends on your part of the country. I'm in Ohio and there are some small towns where premium only goes up to 91 or 92 octane.

I don't pay attention to dynos, but my gearhead ao tune took me from a 13.76 best totally stock with full tank of gas to a 12.53 best on 93 with a totally full tank of gas using dragy. It also shifts much smoother than stock.

I will be switching over to an ethanol tune once spring hits so this will just be my winter tune and travelling tune since e85 is pretty abundant near me.