Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Anyone installed the MRT H-pipe?

PonyGuyST

Reactions
Hello all,

Has anyone tried out the MRT Hiflow H-pipe with your ST? Obviously not a performance bump, just wondering how much louder it is compared to stock. Not looking for anything super loud, just enough for some personality.

Considering some minor mods like this while waiting for Adam to ramp up tuning at ZFG.

Thanks.

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
Hello all,

Has anyone tried out the MRT Hiflow H-pipe with your ST? Obviously not a performance bump, just wondering how much louder it is compared to stock. Not looking for anything super loud, just enough for some personality.

Considering some minor mods like this while waiting for Adam to ramp up tuning at ZFG.

Thanks.
I ordered one but haven't installed it yet. Did you install yours? Did you keep the stock mufflers then?

Reactions
I have it installed. It adds a bit of an aggressive sound but nothing crazy and no drone. Only issue was the clamps that came with the kit were too large so there is a minor leak. I have smaller clamps going on next week.

2PAC

Reactions
I ordered the xtreme axle back and h pipe, it sounded the best on yt fwiw, I heard the borla and was not very impressed.

Mrt seems to make one of the better sounding exhaust in my opinion.

2PAC

Reactions
I have it installed. It adds a bit of an aggressive sound but nothing crazy and no drone. Only issue was the clamps that came with the kit were too large so there is a minor leak. I have smaller clamps going on next week.
What size clamps are you going with? I'm curious as mine is set for install next week.

Reactions
What size clamps are you going with? I'm curious as mine is set for install next week.
I think the original ones were 2.5". We had to add a 1/8" metal band to make it tight, but i think that created a gap in the seal and therefore a leak. I purchased the wider 2.25" band clamps and exhaust seal adhesive to see it that works better. Putting them on next week and will report back.

2PAC

Reactions
I think the original ones were 2.5". We had to add a 1/8" metal band to make it tight, but i think that created a gap in the seal and therefore a leak. I purchased the wider 2.25" band clamps and exhaust seal adhesive to see it that works better. Putting them on next week and will report back.
Awesome, let me know how it goes. I still have to get the tips ceramic coated so it will be a bit before I add the axle back but I might just go ahead and add the h pipe sooner.

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
on the new ones they added a small plate to the end to make up for the issue.
I actually decided to go with the cat back mbrp setup instead.

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
I ordered the xtreme axle back and h pipe, it sounded the best on yt fwiw, I heard the borla and was not very impressed.

Mrt seems to make one of the better sounding exhaust in my opinion.
Buty how loud was it?
With no muffler at the back end I would think it would be crazy loud!!

Reactions
I just removed an MRT H-pipe once I swapped in a Gibson axle-back. Even with that kit (which has "mufflers") it was stupid loud, so the stock resonator went back in and the sound is perfect. I can't imagine using their H-pipe AND axle-back - that would have been even worse. That being said, the H-pipe is nice and real high quality, as is all their gear, but knowing what I know now, I wish I would have just waited and went straight to the Gibson kit.

Gibson 619718B.jpg

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
I just removed an MRT H-pipe once I swapped in a Gibson axle-back. Even with that kit (which has "mufflers") it was stupid loud, so the stock resonator went back in and the sound is perfect. I can't imagine using their H-pipe AND axle-back - that would have been even worse. That being said, the H-pipe is nice and real high quality, as is all their gear, but knowing what I know now, I wish I would have just waited and went straight to the Gibson kit.

View attachment 9301
Yes I agree. Probably the nicest H pipe I have ever seen. Quality is top notch which is making it hard to not go with.

2PAC

Reactions
Buty how loud was it?
With no muffler at the back end I would think it would be crazy loud!!
I mean tbh I have old videos of my stock and mid muffler delete hellcat and it sounds way louder stock than the st with no mufflers and an h pipe.

@ARC @jrgoffin if you don't mind me asking you guys, what's the loudest car you guys have had?

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
I mean tbh I have old videos of my stock and mid muffler delete hellcat and it sounds way louder stock than the st with no mufflers and an h pipe.

@ARC @jrgoffin if you don't mind me asking you guys, what's the loudest car you guys have had?
As far as loudest car....1994 ford lightning. I had side exhaust with Flowmasters. Man I miss that truck. Not the fastest but fun. Then after that a 1989 ford thunderbird supercoupe. No cats and Flowmasters. It was a 5 speed that was a cool car.

2PAC

Reactions
As far as loudest car....1994 ford lightning. I had side exhaust with Flowmasters. Man I miss that truck. Not the fastest but fun. Then after that a 1989 ford thunderbird supercoupe. No cats and Flowmasters. It was a 5 speed that was a cool car.
Aha, some loud cars for sure. A buddy of mine has a lightning, awesome truck. Did you end up keeping your order for the h pipe or sticking with just the cat back?

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
Aha, some loud cars for sure. A buddy of mine has a lightning, awesome truck. Did you end up keeping your order for the h pipe or sticking with just the cat back?
I had the h pipe delivered but my installer showed some concerns of piecing it in with the stock system due to some bends being to close and having to do with possible leaks so I am returning it and I ordered a full cat back MBRP exhaust with the x pipe.

Reactions

I’ve owned and driven V-8 Mustangs going back 30+ years and currently have a highly modified ‘03 Cobra. It’s totally different with toys that aren’t driven often, which benefit from a performance exhaust, vs. a daily driver that is loud for no reason. A nice rumble is fine, but obnoxious is pointless, especially with the ST. As I discovered with the H-pipe/Gibson combo, it was annoying (probably similar to the MBRP kit), but exhaust sounds are always subjective. Having stock components with just the new axle-back is perfect in my book. To each his own.

2PAC

Reactions
I had the h pipe delivered but my installer showed some concerns of piecing it in with the stock system due to some bends being to close and having to do with possible leaks so I am returning it and I ordered a full cat back MBRP exhaust with the x pipe.
What did mrt say when you went to return their h pipe?

Reactions
How did you add the stock resonator back on. You have to cut the stock pipe right after the bend and it looks like the gibson kit needs those pipes to be longer in order to install properly.

Reactions
It just gets welded in at the back where the cuts were. You maintain all the factory tubing from just behind the resonator. That’s a few feet more.

Here’s a pic of the cuts I made for the Gibson kit, with the H-pipe still in place:
17AA64CF-AF01-4DC1-A15E-B2DC33627360.jpeg

Last edited: