Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Any 2023 Two Bolt Rear Setups?

F=MA

Reactions
Went to look at some new 2023 Explorer ST's today and they both had the one bolt rear end setup. One was built on 12-21-22 and the other 01-09-23. Any 2023 Explorer ST's out there with the two bolt rear end setup and, if so, what is the build date?

ssw

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I just picked up my 2023 here in South Florida with a January 4, 2023 build date..has one bolt set up in rear end

OP
F=MA

F=MA

Reactions
Thread Starter #3
This Forum - Safety Recall 22S27 Rear Axle Bolt Fractures - Post #614

"My 23 was built with a 1 bolt subframe. I did have my dealer submit a misbuilt vehicle report and they have a subframe on backorder for me."

Anyone else do this?

Mackdaddy

U.S. Coast Guard Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST replaced my 2022 that was totaled
My 22 has 2 was built 11/22/22, purchased 12/22/22, rearended 01/06/23 less than 500 miles on it, collision center appt. 02/21/23, was T-boned on 02/05/23 approx. 900 miles on it. Roll backed to collision center today, awaiting insurance co evaluation I'm mad and sad. Either way it goes my carbonized grey is out of here, even though it was pretty. I'm going with a different color, as this one was a bad omen.

OP
F=MA

F=MA

Reactions
Thread Starter #5
Color does blend with the pavement. Sorry to hear that.

Last edited:

Mackdaddy

U.S. Coast Guard Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST replaced my 2022 that was totaled
Thanks, and it came without the side roof rails, going to be hard to find!

mdexpst

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Stone Blue Metallic
Went to look at some new 2023 Explorer ST's today and they both had the one bolt rear end setup. One was built on 12-21-22 and the other 01-09-23. Any 2023 Explorer ST's out there with the two bolt rear end setup and, if so, what is the build date?
Yet I have a 12/21/22 build with 2 bolt rear. Go figure.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Mine has build date 1/4/2023 also. One bolt. Dealer looking into it... we'll see what they say.

ssw

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
FWIW., me dealer here in South Florida told me yesterday there is no 2 bolt rear option even availble, and the few he has replaced for local police dept. vehislces, have all been 1 bolt rears...Ford does not even show a part number for a 2 bolt rear. not sure how F=MA got his dealer to do a mis-build, my dealer could not submit a mis-uild because Ford is saying it isn't a mis-build. I just ordred the ID Rear Diff brace.
I guess I feel confident in the 1 bolt now since even Ford is offering a tune for the ST??

OP
F=MA

F=MA

Reactions
Thread Starter #10
I didn't as I have a two bolt in my 2020. It was the person in that recall post that said he did. FYI. I was looking at new 2023's and wanted to know if they were now two bolt or still one bolt.

bosephbarking

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
FWIW., me dealer here in South Florida told me yesterday there is no 2 bolt rear option even availble, and the few he has replaced for local police dept. vehislces, have all been 1 bolt rears...Ford does not even show a part number for a 2 bolt rear. not sure how F=MA got his dealer to do a mis-build, my dealer could not submit a mis-uild because Ford is saying it isn't a mis-build. I just ordred the ID Rear Diff brace.
I guess I feel confident in the 1 bolt now since even Ford is offering a tune for the ST??
This is simply not true. Your dealer is either incompetent or just lazy. The engineering drawing for the ST rear subframe clearly shows a 2 bolt rear. The 2.3 liter has a different part number.

I am the person F=MA mentioned. My dealer had a 2020 and a 2023 at the dealer with a 2 bolt rear. They checked the part number on the 2.3 liter and it was marked with a different number. Mine had the correct engineering number and it matched the 2020 and 2023. Yet mine has 1 bolt and the others have 2.

To be clear they are correct there is not an 'option' for that. It's the spec part and engineering that defines what you get. The short answer is 1 bolt = wrong and misbuilt vehicle. If you want more info or clarification feel free to message me directly.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
They (Ford) came back with the issue of the one bolt has been resolved with a "launch detune" and "auto parking brake." They will not do the replacement of the sub frame and second bolt. Soooo I guess I'll hope it doesn't break.

blackdog

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I bought my 2021 explorer ST less than a month ago. I had done some research, found out about the diff problem and ordered an AWR diff brace. It's a very well made product, and even though the recall had been done I feel much more secure in the fact my diff won't be falling out any time soon.

Ford Explorer ST - Ford Explorer ST Differential Brace - AWR Store (awrracing.com)