Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Another Tune Question

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
The E85 Mix App is a good bet. The E85 station search app isn't doing me much good in my area. Even doing a google search on my computer didn't turn anything up. With the stations that were listed, not only did they not have flex fuel but didn't even know what it is! How can you work at a gas station and not know what E85 is and whether or not you have it? My search today turned out to be a joke.

I finally found one with flex fuel but when I got there, (30 min later) their pumps listed their flex fuel as 50-83%. I tried asking one of the attendants to narrow it down for me so I could make an informed entry into the calculator. He says, "I don't know, whatever percentage they bring in that day." (really?)

Definitely thinking twice about upgrading to an E50 tune. Even if I had an ethanol sensor, how can I know how much flex to put in if I don't know the percentage? SMH
You can get a tester and test the 85 at the pump before you calculate the blend. If you use the same station it’ll generally be pretty close over time and the E50 tune is good from 40 to 60 so it’s not like you have to be that precise. I don’t even test anymore…

OP
Suprawill1
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #23
You can get a tester and test the 85 at the pump before you calculate the blend. If you use the same station it’ll generally be pretty close over time and the E50 tune is good from 40 to 60 so it’s not like you have to be that precise. I don’t even test anymore…
Yes, that's what Novagunner was saying. Was also nice enough to post a link for the tester. I'll be ordering that pronto!

OP
Suprawill1
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #24
Man, this DMS tune is bomb! Pulled a 4.66 0-60 with over 300lbs of equipment in the back. With an empty ST and E30, I might be able to break 3s. (shrug)
Feel like I should add an IC and CAI to breath cool air.

Reactions
If you have a decent DA, You could probably get very close. I borrowed a dragy and pulled a 4.2 on 93 but traction was my real issue. 45 degree roads suck. Haven’t tried again since I mixed e28 in the tank again since it has been colder and no really good spots to do it.

Intercooler is a good thing to have for heat soak purposes. You aren’t going to see any real gains from a CAI. If I recall correctly, it becomes a bit more of a restriction at e50 and DP swap level.

OP
Suprawill1
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #26
If you have a decent DA, You could probably get very close. I borrowed a dragy and pulled a 4.2 on 93 but traction was my real issue. 45 degree roads suck. Haven’t tried again since I mixed e28 in the tank again since it has been colder and no really good spots to do it.

Intercooler is a good thing to have for heat soak purposes. You aren’t going to see any real gains from a CAI. If I recall correctly, it becomes a bit more of a restriction at e50 and DP swap level.
That's a good run on 93! If you put the weight in your cargo space that I have, it will cure your traction problem. lol I don't know if it's that or the tires I run (or combination of both) but I chirp and grab hitting 2nd gear and that's it.

Yes, I figured the CAI would also help with breathing and especially since I plan on going E50 in the future. Was also debating just dropping a high flow K&N filter. Couldn't really justify the power gain to price ratio with a DP swap.
Not a lot of good spots to get on it around here either. Always looking over my shoulder after a run. We need to build a track! :)

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
I run the Gear Head E50 tune daily. I'm in Illinois so E85 is available and cheap! I pay about 3.05 - 3.15 per gallon for 100 octane E50.

OP
Suprawill1
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #28
I run the Gear Head E50 tune daily. I'm in Illinois so E85 is available and cheap! I pay about 3.05 - 3.15 per gallon for 100 octane E50.
Lucky for you! E85 is a joke around here. Any place I've run into is "guess if I'm 51 or 83%". Shouldn't have to test fuel every time you fill up.
Was going to go with the E50 tune but heck, I don't know if I can get a consistent 30% in the tank in this area. Maybe I should move to IL.

Reactions
Lucky for you! E85 is a joke around here. Any place I've run into is "guess if I'm 51 or 83%". Shouldn't have to test fuel every time you fill up.
Was going to go with the E50 tune but heck, I don't know if I can get a consistent 30% in the tank in this area. Maybe I should move to IL.
No need to go to that extreme, we have consistent e85 in Ohio. Most gas stations have 70-85 on the handle, I think sheetz is the only one that says as low as 51%, but never seen below 70 there either.

OP
Suprawill1
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #30
No need to go to that extreme, we have consistent e85 in Ohio. Most gas stations have 70-85 on the handle, I think sheetz is the only one that says as low as 51%, but never seen below 70 there either.
Yeah, Novagunner said the same thing about not being under 70% but I would still want to test where I am. Somehow, I don't trust these places here on consistency. I don't know, maybe I'm just a little anal about accuracy especially when there's a certain fuel protocol that I have to meet.
Of course I was kidding about moving to IL but anything else mentioned is not an extreme. Just sayin'.