Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

ALL YOU CATCH CAN GUYS; How much oil?

OP
JohnE
Reactions
Thread Starter #21
total catch can accumulation after ~15k.
That’s about as much as I’m getting too. I’m used to seeing A LOT more than that with a former 2017 GMC 5.3 truck and a 7.0 LS7 in a Z06. These 3.0’s must be pretty tight.

Svt95gt

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Asking a newb question based on this thread... If there's so little, do you even need the catch can?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Asking a newb question based on this thread... If there's so little, do you even need the catch can?
This is from my old 2011 Ford Flex Eco boost with 140K miles. All that oil build up. Catch can will help remove the oil from entering the intake.

Attachments

Svt95gt

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
So these catch cans (and experts correct me if I'm wrong here) catch the oil and water condensate, but wouldn't there still be vapor that passes through anyway? Someone said earlier the engine heats up and would evaporate the water in the can...are we saying that the catch can if far enough away that the oil condensate deposits into the can and doesn't keep trucking into the motor?

Sorry if my questions are off the OG topic. Just trying to learn, I honestly don't know.

F=MA

Reactions
UPR catch can. Small Sonic cup. This much every 5000 to 7000 miles.
IMG_3148.JPG IMG_3149.JPG

OP
JohnE
Reactions
Thread Starter #27
So these catch cans (and experts correct me if I'm wrong here) catch the oil and water condensate, but wouldn't there still be vapor that passes through anyway? Someone said earlier the engine heats up and would evaporate the water in the can...are we saying that the catch can if far enough away that the oil condensate deposits into the can and doesn't keep trucking into the motor?

Sorry if my questions are off the OG topic. Just trying to learn, I honestly don't know.
Water (condensation) isn’t the issue, only the oil is. Water doesn’t leave deposits on the valves and pistons like oil does. Water collects in the crankcase in the form of condensation after a warm engine cools down, and is most evident when the relative humidity is high. When the engine is again started and warmed up, the water turns to vapor and with the absence of catch can, gets pulled into the induction system and burned off in the combustion chamber and exits through the exhaust. No harm no foul. There’s always some water in the air. When a catch can is installed, it just catches the water before entering the induction system, just as it catches the oil mist. If the catch can is located in an area that doesn’t get that hot, it won’t evaporate off as fast and get pulled into the intake and will stay in the catch can. It looks ugly but it makes no difference if it stays in the can or gets burned in the combustion chamber. Hope that helps.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I would certainly buy one again. It's enough crap that I would prefer to not go thru the intake.

Svt95gt

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Water (condensation) isn’t the issue, only the oil is. Water doesn’t leave deposits on the valves and pistons like oil does. Water collects in the crankcase in the form of condensation after a warm engine cools down, and is most evident when the relative humidity is high. When the engine is again started and warmed up, the water turns to vapor and with the absence of catch can, gets pulled into the induction system and burned off in the combustion chamber and exits through the exhaust. No harm no foul. There’s always some water in the air. When a catch can is installed, it just catches the water before entering the induction system, just as it catches the oil mist. If the catch can is located in an area that doesn’t get that hot, it won’t evaporate off as fast and get pulled into the intake and will stay in the catch can. It looks ugly but it makes no difference if it stays in the can or gets burned in the combustion chamber. Hope that helps.
Awesome! Thanks for the explanation John.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Disclaimer - I have zero knowledge in this area. Please forgive the following questions, if it's obvious to others.
1. If the oil entering the intakes is really an issue, why there is nothing from OEMs to stop this?
2. With the new vehicle under warranty (thinking of extending it), even if there is a failure, doesn't this get covered?
3. If I add a catch can, in CA, am I in trouble with warranty/smog test etc?

Reactions
FYI, you can remove it and replace the original hoses in about 10 minutes

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
Disclaimer - I have zero knowledge in this area. Please forgive the following questions, if it's obvious to others.
1. If the oil entering the intakes is really an issue, why there is nothing from OEMs to stop this?
2. With the new vehicle under warranty (thinking of extending it), even if there is a failure, doesn't this get covered?
3. If I add a catch can, in CA, am I in trouble with warranty/smog test etc?
Yes, you would fail smog with this installed in CA