Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

ALL YOU CATCH CAN GUYS; How much oil?

Reactions
I installed the UPR catch can about 500 miles ago and have no oil at all in the can. I thought I did one time but it must have been condensation which evaporated. I had one on a Corvette and one on a GMC truck that would catch oil almost immediately but they had a very short hose run to the can itself. The Explorer has a long hose coming from the dirty side so the inside of the hose has to get coated before the can will get any. My ST only has 1,800 miles on it and when I installed the can, the stock hoses were completely dry. Just curious what you guys are finding.

DKOV

Reactions
I’ve got the same question. I’ve had a upr can on for about 2500 miles (has 6000 now). Haven’t seen any oil coming out of the hose extension. Is that normal?

OP
JohnE
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
New engines are tight so not as much blow by possibly. The last two vehicles I had them on were new though too so who knows. I still think it has to be that long run of the dirty side hose. My last two were only about a 1’ long run; and yes they are connected properly and the drain is not leaking. Maybe some of the other guys will chime in??

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
You’ll always have less in warmer months and more in colder months. You’ll see the pattern eventually.

OP
JohnE
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
You’ll always have less in warmer months and more in colder months. You’ll see the pattern eventually.
Colder months will give you condensation along with the oil which evaporates out once up to temp but there’s no difference in the amount of oil vapor/mist from cold to hot ambient temps. I’ve had two cans on two new cars; an LS7 and a 5.3. Both collected oil from the start. I’m seeing no oil at all. One time a little water and that’s it.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Give it time. Mine has been on for a while and I can get a few drops out. And the condensation that hits these cans won’t evaporate out...you’ll have to drain it out.
The VTA can on my blown Coyote is the only one I’ve ran that would let the condensation evaporate. Both UPR and JLT cans on multiple vehicles get a lot more condensation in the winter months. Simple physics.

Reactions
I’ve had nothing in the UPR can after 800 miles.

OP
JohnE
Reactions
Thread Starter #8
Give it time. Mine has been on for a while and I can get a few drops out. And the condensation that hits these cans won’t evaporate out...you’ll have to drain it out.
The VTA can on my blown Coyote is the only one I’ve ran that would let the condensation evaporate. Both UPR and JLT cans on multiple vehicles get a lot more condensation in the winter months. Simple physics.
Warm air holds more water than cold air. When the warmer crankcase air flows into a cold catch can, the air cools and the water condensates. When the can warms up from the continuous flow of warm air from the crankcase, the condensation evaporates and flows into the intake manifold. Guess what? Condensation is gone. There’s your simple physics. The location of the catch can is directly relevant to how long the condensation stays in the can too. Mount the can in front of the radiator and you’ll need to empty the 50/50 contents of water and oil twice as much as if mounted behind the radiator where you’ll find just oil in the can after it’s been warmed up. The brand of can has no influence on how much water it catches either. Coalescence affects water vapor just as it does oil vapor. Physics 101. I was just curious if anyone actually saw oil in their CC after 500 miles.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
My personal results with cans mounted in various places in the engine bay are different.
More condensation in winter in the can no matter where the can is located...except the VTA cans which were largely always just oil.

Last edited:
OP
JohnE
Reactions
Thread Starter #10
I had two different Elite cans, both mounted about 6“ to 10” away from the exhaust manifold/headers, near the firewall. If it sat overnight without getting very hot the day before, I’d see oil/water mix with more water in the colder months, as you mentioned. But after a longer drive and some engine heat, I’d never find water in the can. I suppose these small V6 motors have less blow by than V8’s. By design they should.

Reactions
question 1: do you drive like a dick or a grandma? question 2: what pcv orifice size did you install?

OP
JohnE
Reactions
Thread Starter #12
question 1: do you drive like a dick or a grandma? question 2: what pcv orifice size did you install?
Hey FG! How ya doin?
Q1: LOL! I get on it sometimes. Only have 1,800 miles on it. I actually thought driving like a grandma was driving like a dick.
Q2: I was actually going to ask that question about the orifice. I went with the middle size. What do you think; the biggest one?

Last edited:
Reactions
I opted for the clean side separator, dual check valves, and have the largest orifice PCV installed where the OEM check valve was.

I drive pretty aggressively, rarely drive like a grandma, and punch it often.

I’m located in a suburb just west of Phoenix, AZ, so we won’t have “cool” weather until November.

After 1,200 miles on the UPR can, I had about an ounce or so of oil and fuel.

Last edited:
Reactions
Just checked my JLT catch can it had 10cc of oil after 1200 miles IMG_20210416_173643.jpg

F=MA

Reactions
I have the UPR full catch can with a remote drain line so after 3,000 miles it was mostly water with a skiff of oil on top. Small Sonic cup of Starbucks Mobile One with dash of Carmel Creme.

IMG_3150.JPG

IMG_3148.JPG IMG_3149.JPG

Reactions
Checked my catch can after 2 months and it was more then half full with 90% water. It has been about 1000 miles and 100 hours of run and idle time combined. It has be below zero here for 30 days on and off since mid December so I have about a 5-10 minutes idle time after auto start until I drive to or from work about 8 miles each way so doesn't get super warmed upped in this weather. This back in February.
Catch can.jpg

Reactions
I checked my can about a month ago after having it installed for about 6 months or so.
Had a quarter of the can full with what looked to me mostly oil (not sure if water was mixed in).
We are just getting through the winter months up here in Canada land and its been very cold.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 explorer st
I just emptied mine on my 2020 Explorer St and there was about an ounce of congealed oil. Looked like thick pudding. Is this normal? After I took the can out and let it sit a while. It melted into regular oil. This was after 3,000 miles. I set a reminder to make sure to check it. since this is the first time I have ever installed/owned one.

Reactions
5500 miles and my JLT can had 0.7 Oz. Running Redline 5w30 oil. Mixed driving but not too many hard pulls. Yes warm climate here in FL

Tommy