Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Alignment Specs (Camber)

Reactions
Apologies for the duplicate post; I actually posed this question in a wheel spacer thread, but it probably got overlooked in there.

I have the following setup:
  • H&R springs
  • 1" Bora spacers front
  • 1.25" Bora spacers rear
Can anyone share their alignment specs, specifically the camber in the rear (the shop handed it back to me with ~ -2°)? Visually/aesthetically, that looks a bit too aggressive to me.

Is it worth taking it to another shop and asking for something closer to neutral in the rear, or is that as good as can be achieved without further mods? Do they even make camber plates/bolts? What camber specs do you guys have with similar mods?

alignment.jpg

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
To match the front it should be set to -.5°
My guess is the shop you used doesn’t know where to adjust rear camber from. Tell them the adjustment point is where the upper control arm bolts to the frame…way up high above the exhaust…and to try again.

OP
G
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Thanks for the sanity check. (y) I'll have it readdressed (maybe even at the dealer).

Reactions
On the wife’s ST we did the Steeda springs with aren’t quite as low as the H&R’s, however there was room to adjust the camber into the positive if wanted.

Unbroken is bang on as usual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST Carbonized Gray

BigAnt75

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
To match the front it should be set to -.5°
My guess is the shop you used doesn’t know where to adjust rear camber from. Tell them the adjustment point is where the upper control arm bolts to the frame…way up high above the exhaust…and to try again.
What should I look for with cost? Just so they don’t try to rip me off lol

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I know my dealer charges $120 for an alignment

BigAnt75

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Do you think any Ford dealer would adjust it without a hassle?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
It’s a normal alignment…any shop worth going to can knock it out. Nothing extra is needed and it’ll align back to factory specs with any of the static drop springs on the market.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Unfortunately, many shops are lazy. when i first got my Steedas, the camber was off in the rears and the dealer said it was because of the lowering springs. Then Unbroken said a while ago that rear camber is correctable (thank you). The next time i went in I told the service advisor that i wanted it aligned to normal specs which they didn't do the last time. That time they did.

Edgeybra

Reactions
Need help. After installing eibach got alignment. Came back with -2.9 degrees on driver rear. Shop told me they did the bolt above the exhaust and nothing. Anybody have a pic of the bolt that adjust the camber.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Need help. After installing eibach got alignment. Came back with -2.9 degrees on driver rear. Shop told me they did the bolt above the exhaust and nothing. Anybody have a pic of the bolt that adjust the camber.
https://www.foexplorer.com/ford_explorer_general_procedures_rear_camber_adjustment-432.html

Activation

NOTICE: Suspension fasteners are critical parts that affect the performance of vital components and systems. Failure of these fasteners may result in major service expense. Use the same or equivalent parts if replacement is necessary. Do not use a replacement part of lesser quality or substitute design. Tighten fasteners as specified.

1. Using alignment equipment and the manufacturer's instructions, measure the rear camber.
    Use the General Equipment: Wheel Alignment System
    1. Loosen the upper arm-to-frame bolt counterclockwise (CCW) through 2 complete turns.
      Torque: 129 lb.ft (175 Nm)
    1. Move the upper arm inboard or outboard to adjust rear camber as necessary.

1. Recheck alignment to verify camber change and adjust rear toe if necessary.
    Refer to: Rear Toe Adjustment (204-00 Suspension System - General Information, General Procedures).

Edgeybra

Reactions
Thank you soo much. This will be easy to show the shop. Much appreciated.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Didn’t want to start a new thread for a common question/issue, so I’ll add onto this one.

Had the ST find a rather nasty hole in the pavement which ended up collapsing part of the Steeda adjustable rear toe link on the passenger side. Got a replacement part from Steeda and had the dealer install it. Now they say they can’t get the camber alignment in spec on the drivers side. They are saying that they need to “modify“ that side to allow it to come back into spec. My gut reaction is that they have no clue how to align the camber properly and have forwarded the link to the procedure that @Cajun Heat has provided on more than one occasion. Since there was obviously some serious lateral movement, is there a chance that something else has gotten damaged and is being overlooked by the dealer or does this sound like an inexperienced service person missing the obvious?

IMG_1696.jpeg IMG_6706.jpeg

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I'd be looking for what else got bent. Even heavy steering knuckles can get tweaked.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I'd be looking for what else got bent. Even heavy steering knuckles can get tweaked.
That’s what worries me. They say they don’t see anything else damaged but it took a lot of force to bend that part. After sending the link, the dealer says the alignment guy has 30 years of experience. So I would assume (yes, I know what happens when one assumes) that they know what they are doing. Just find it strange that the side they can’t bring back into alignment is the side away from the damage.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I would suggest jacking up the rear end on stands, taking the wheels off and comparing sides. Some parts like the upper control arm is curved and could have easily been bent on impact--and not obvious by looking at it. If you can assume the passenger side is normal, maybe you can compare, including taking measurements.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thanks for the ideas. Hadn’t thought about it but the sway bar could be the culprit.

Explorer ST Posts