Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

AKI ('octane') rating of gasoline for our Explorers

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST, Rapid Red; 2020 and 2022 STs
Just noticed this.. From the '23 Explorer online owner's manual...
https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...e=USA&VIN=&userMarket=USA&div=f&buildtype=web

"Your vehicle is designed to operate on regular unleaded gasoline with a minimum pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87.
Some fuel stations, particularly those in high altitude areas, offer fuels posted as regular unleaded gasoline with an octane rating below 87. The use of these fuels could result in engine damage that will not be covered by the vehicle warranty.
For best overall vehicle and engine performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The performance gained by using premium fuel is most noticeable in hot weather as well as other conditions, for example when towing a trailer. See Towing.
Do not be concerned if the engine sometimes knocks lightly. However, if the engine knocks heavily while using fuel with the recommended octane rating, contact an authorized dealer to prevent any engine damage.
..."

Emphases mine.. I guess I better change to 91AKI.

2023Sep14_DSC0687_In driveway_1200w.jpg