Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Aftermarket Exhaust Burning Smell

Reactions
I just installed a Thermal R&D 2.5" exhaust with mid pipes. After driving I notice a plastic like burnt smell. Is this normal? It's been a week since the install. I checked to make sure nothing is in contact underneath and near the exhaust tips where they are close to plastic trim pieces and all is good. I have read that new exhaust will burn off oils/grease used in the manufacturing process.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Yes, sometimes there are “smells” from the new hardware, but not plastics smell. You may have snagged a Wally’s bag that has melted.

OP
mcfarlrm
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Yes, sometimes there are “smells” from the new hardware, but not plastics smell. You may have snagged a Wally’s bag that has melted.
Yep, just as you suspected. Looks like I caught a grocery bag or something on the road.
IMG_3177.jpg

OP
mcfarlrm
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
Now the question is what is the easiest way to remove this?!?!

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Easiest way is let it burn off with some wot pulls and high speed runs…️

OP
mcfarlrm
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
Hahaha I was thinking the same. May have to scrap it off after one of those runs while it's still melted.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Hahaha I was thinking the same. May have to scrap it off after one of those runs while it's still melted.
It may flake off if you spray it with water while it’s at full hot temp. No question it will burn off in time, though you’ll smell it along the way!