Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Aftermarket Amplifier Power Cable Run

Reactions
Vehicle
2002 Ford Mustang
Where did everyone run the power for their aftermarket amplifier through the firewall? I really figure there has to be a decent spot near the pedals on the floor.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Grommets through the firewall directly behind the battery then contained in the oem plastic channel all the way to the back. F88F8CB4-1AF5-44A4-A5B4-D3F1239D4242.jpeg 27C4615B-6BEC-47AC-9C56-4C66737AABF5.jpeg

OP
B
Reactions
Vehicle
2002 Ford Mustang
Thread Starter #3
That could definitely work! I will have to cross the cable over to the other side, and I believe I saw people do that at the rear seat, but is it much hassle?

Any idea if the firewall at the pedals is single walled and might be easier to attach the power cable to the secondary battery terminal on the driver side, drop down the engine bay to the pedal area, and pass through there. That way it's all on one side and the cable is on the side that the amp will be.

I haven't gotten around to removing all the plastic covers near the driver pedals to see if there might also be some grommets I can pop the wire through as well.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Buy a proper grommet or bulkhead connector and do it right. I hate seeing power wire passed through cut existing grommets…you never know if there’s a sharp edge in there. It’s not worth torching a car for a cheap grommet and proper install.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Do you need to run the ground back to the battery?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Do you need to run the ground back to the battery?
You’ll get different answers from different people but after I had the car apart and looked at how much panel bond was used to build the car and how few spot welds I didn’t want to take any chances on grounding issues so I ran power and ground to the battery.

NeverSatisfied

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
You’ll get different answers from different people but after I had the car apart and looked at how much panel bond was used to build the car and how few spot welds I didn’t want to take any chances on grounding issues so I ran power and ground to the battery.
Do you recall about how many feet your run was to the back?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Never measured it…just ran cable and cut it where I needed it.